PDA

View Full Version : Mineralized top soil

FSM
10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Is anyone using it?

I'll be moving all the fish out of my planted 75 into the 150, so that seems like a good opportunity to switch out the substrate before putting all the fish from my 29 into the 75.

I'm not sure where I would get the components though.

a/m
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I read about it on plantedtank.net in the substrate forum.
There's a whole thread dedicated to it that they have as a sticky.
They mention places you can get the ingredients too.

Seems like a lot of work, I don't think I would be patient enough to make it. :/
~M~

geotek
10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I know several people have used non mineralized topsoil covered by gravel for medium light tanks. I have a med light 20L tank with topsoil that has run since early Sept with no green water issues. I've not had any water cloudiness issues either, any clouding from moving plants around settles out within a day.
If you aren't planning a high light tank, you might consider nonmineralized topsoil as an option.

FSM
10-25-2009, 01:37 PM
3x54W T5HO...it's pretty high light.

geotek
10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
With that light level, I would only try a topsoil substrate whether mineralized or not if you have a UV sterilizer handy to deal with the green water outbreaks. It takes only a tiny spike of ammonia from a decaying root fragment to set of a green water episode. UV sterilizers clean that up quickly. I seem to remember green water outbreaks being a startup problem of MS substrates.