PDA

View Full Version : how to process new fish before introducing to main tank

zyyoll
08-11-2016, 11:34 AM
I would like suggestions from members about their routine for observing/conditioning new fish by isolation before introducing them to a community tank.
How long do you keep fish under observation in a refugium?
Do you treat the water in the refugium with medication?
If so, do you use anti-ich medication and or anti-gill fluke medication?
Do you use any type of water conditioner or salt in the refugium?
Thank you very much for your advice!

Tropical
08-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about saltwater fish?

I don't about saltwater but for freshwater fish, it depends. I dip all new fish in a methylene blue dip in a bucket for a few minutes before putting them in the tank.

If the fish are from a fellow hobbyist, especially one that has a good reputation and the fish are healthy, I add them straightaway to the main tank. If they are still young or a breeding pair, they usually get their own tank anyway (they stay right in the "quarantine").

If the fish are directly from the store or bought online, I would put them in a quarantine tank, and monitor them for signs of illness for at least 2 weeks, the longer the better. I don't treat with anything until I see any sickness.

For ick I use Mardel Clout, it's a very strong medication and kills all 4 stages of ick within 1-2 treatments (1-2 days). Praziquantel (sold as praxipro) is definitely a good treatment for basic parasites and gill flukes.

Of course good water quality is definitely important as well as a good water conditioner, the best being Seachem Prime, or if you have a lot of tanks, Seachem Safe.

I'm completely against using salt as a medication, or slime coat booster, since it doesn't really help the fish, and a lot of fish react badly to it. (Epsom salt or water hardening salts for African cichlids are different).

Hope this helps, I'm interested to see what other people have to say.