PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

g libby
10-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I have put some pond plants into the substrate but more common is planting them in a pot. I've even had plants that I put in a pot and inserted that into a tank. You can purchase pond baskets that allow water to pass through the sides. Why can't you just fill the tank with these planted baskets (covered with gravel) and that way remove what you want at will without tearing down the tank?

Chris Noto
10-25-2009, 05:39 PM
No reason whatsoever. I've seen it done.

ikevi
10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
The only real concern is what type of material the baskets are. (Especially for shrimp.)

gofish
10-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I do this all the time with my cichlid tanks that contain diggers. I even presented a video of me doing this during my last planted aquarium talk. I just use clay pots that I silicone a piece of plastic to the bottom to cover up the hole. I fill it full of dirt (laden with a lot of vermiculite to prevent compaction) and then pool filter sand. I add a piece of 1/2 inch plastic mesh to keep the diggers out (nothing worse that trying to get dirt out of your tank) and top is will pool filter sand. I them add my plants through the mesh. I place several rocks on top of that. When a plant gets too large or I decide to re-aquascape, I just re-arrange/add/remove plants.

Apisto Jim
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
All of my breeding tanks are biotopes of the Tupperwari river - I keep all of the rooted plants in plastic food containers and put Java moss between them. Makes catching fry much easier by removing the foliage. The two levels and added hiding spots have saved a lot of fish, and I've had about half of the eggs laid on the side of the containers (while ignoring the specially crafted and purchased caves.)

Never had any problems, possibly because I re-pot the plants with fresh soil and a little composted manure every year or so.