PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Magnum HOT filter conked out

zyyoll
09-11-2016, 11:36 AM
After many years of faithful service the motor conked out. Since it is sealed I don't want to try to open it and risk an electrical fault if it becomes wet. This filter is now unavailable from Marineland or re-sellers. So my predicament is what to replace it with. I use it for my 29 gallon platy tank. If you have such a unit and would like to sell it please let me know. Otherwise I would be very grateful for your advice on the type of unit to replace it.

fishman
09-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Eheim 2215 or 2217.......best prices are from "big al's" online

aXio
09-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I used to swear by Eheim filters... until they started making them in China around 4-5 years ago. I started getting a lot of returns from customers for various issues. I used to stock the full line at the store, but have since swapped my stock entirely to Aquatop canisters. The new Forza line from Aquatop is great.

Check out Aquatop or SunSun. The original Aquatops are identical to the SunSun canisters.

caricell
09-11-2016, 07:12 PM
If you are interested in the SunSun, (HW-304B) I have three brand new ones still in boxes, complete, for sale.

Just PM me if interested.

Larry

fishman
09-11-2016, 09:43 PM
I used to swear by Eheim filters... until they started making them in China around 3 years ago. I started getting a lot of returns from customers for various issues. I used to stock the full line at the store, but have since swapped my stock entirely to Aquatop canisters. The new Forza line from Aquatop is great.

Check out Aquatop or SunSun. The original Aquatops are identical to the SunSun canisters.

They have been making the classic line of filters in China for well over a decade,quality has not degraded whatsoever in my opinion-I have owned both the German and Chinese built versions.Both Amazon and Big Als customer reviews are still overwhelmingly positive also.According to friends in the industry,many local stores stopped carrying Eheim because Eheim was charging the little stores more per unit than what the internet giants are selling them to customers for.....making the filter uncompetitive for the little local fish store to carry.

mountainman36
09-11-2016, 09:56 PM
.According to friends in the industry,many local stores stopped carrying Eheim because Eheim was charging the little stores more per unit than what the internet giants are selling them to customers for.....making the filter uncompetitive for the little local fish store to carry.

thats pretty much EVERYTHING the little stores sell unfortunately....there used to be 5 fish stores in Marietta/East Cobb....now theres one.

fishman
09-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Yup,sad.....Pretty soon,we will be FORCED to do our shopping online as more and more local stores disappear due to not being able to price competitively with the internet giants.Already,it seems I drive store to store looking for a particular item,get frustrated wasting time and fuel,when I could have just shopped online and had the item show up at my door in a day.Perfect example,I went to over 6 LFS this week looking for freeze dried black worm cubes for my discus- not a single lfs had them{and I went to the "good" stores}....frustrated,I came home and ordered them online at 10pm,got an email at 7am the next morning letting me know they had already dropped them in the mail.

mountainman36
09-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Yup,sad.....Pretty soon,we will be FORCED to do our shopping online as more and more local stores disappear due to not being able to price competitively with the internet giants.Already,it seems I drive store to store looking for a particular item,get frustrated wasting time and fuel,when I could have just shopped online and had the item show up at my door in a day.Perfect example,I went to over 6 LFS this week looking for freeze dried black worm cubes for my discus- not a single lfs had them{and I went to the "good" stores}....frustrated,I came home and ordered them online at 10pm,got an email at 7am the next morning letting me know they had already dropped them in the mail.

we arenet going to be forced....its our own undoing. we want cheap, so we go cheap...as for your blackworms, thats too specialty an item to expect them to have them in stock...thats always been a special order.....bloodworms a plenty, blackworms no. So its not s good example. I worked at 4 stores, and own my own Pond installation company. ive had to deal with the internet stealing sales for 20 years.....its not fair for the brick an mortar folks, but im as guilty as anyone of ordering on line. It is convenience and price.

canoe
09-13-2016, 09:07 AM
fishman - Larry Bugg has sold blackworms for quite a while. Send him a PM to verify availability and cost.

zyyoll - I have an extra HOT magnum. Send me a PM if you are interested.

fisherking
09-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Zyyoll, got one for you. I have never been able to get it to work though. I don't know what's wrong with it. I have 2 of them and I am happy with one. This one I've been using for parts. Do you need a new impeller? I'd like to keep the impeller.

If you want to take the motor/bucket assembly, you can take it and try to get it to work. Text me 404-217-1333 I can text back in the evening after 4:30. Peace.

-CS

zyyoll
10-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Hello, again. I wish I had waited to hear from Fisherking, because I really liked the Marineland HOT filters. But perhaps impulsively, I bought a Marineland Penguin 150 bio-wheel filter. (I have experience with this model) It's working very well, quietly, and its easier to service than the Marineland HOT. IMHO its pretty much perfect for this platy tank.