PDA

View Full Version : Ideas from a new(er) member who'd like to get to know others here

Chris Noto
01-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I've only been a member of the club since last January, and haven't gotten to know a lot of the folks by name yet. I've been working on that, as I'd like to know who is up to what, especially in areas of special interest to me, like Corydoras, dwarf cichlids, and planted aquaria.

Name tags at meetings, or a club photo directory, especially one with an interest listing along with name and contact info, would help with that, but we're not doing either one of those things, so far, at least. Another thing to help noobies like me would be if folks who post here would fill out a profile with a real name. I just posted a topic with that request in the subject line.

Maybe one more thing would be an "Introductions" topic here, with each of us posting a brief summary,

Who (am I):
What (aspects of aquarium/fish keeping am I especially interested in):
Where (optional? in town do I live):
When (did I start doing this fish stuff):
How (did I get into it):

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I've got to go now, but I guess I'll start writing my introduction post.

Dino
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Dino Hicks

Livebearers, catfish, plants, freshwater inverts and to a lesser degree, everything else.
I live in Englewood, Tn.
Started a 29 gallon tank in 1980, been keeping fish ever since.
I have always been interested in biology. Fishkeeping has been at the forefront of this interest for the past 28 years.

Ross and I currently have 200 aquaria and dozen of species of orchids, cacti and other tropical plants in our 1000 square foot fishhouse.

http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/album/pic717.jpg

buzzbomb
01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Good thread idea!

My name is Kirk. I'm 32 and I live in Marietta, GA. At the moment I have nine active fish tanks up and running, four of them Marine (three reef) and five freshwater setups. I love the fish and inverts, but for the last year my passion has been plants in my freshwater tanks, and corals in the marine reef tanks.

It all started with a ten gallon tank that a friend gave me and I figured I could put a goldfish in. Hundreds of plants, fish, and days later my wife wishes it had stayed there. :) I still have that tank as a refugium under one of my 55 gallon tanks.

ikevi
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I am going to say that it will also help people if you post your photo. (Though it is understandable if you don't want to post a photo of yourself online.)

Anyways as most of you know I am Kevin Kubista ... (ikevi = I Kevin minus the n.)

I don't tend to take many photos of myself so here is a really old one when I was moving things.. (I obviuosly am now in in my long hair phase of the year though it is getting very annoying so I should get it cut soon...)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/ikevi/IMG_5156.jpg

I live in Midtown Atlanta... see a different thread for a map. (The where are you thread.)

I started keeping fish when I old enough to feed them. (IE the gold fish bowl.) By the time I was 6 I had a 10 gallon. By 8 I was trying to breed betas in 5 gallons. I really didn't go over a 20 gallon till I got to GA Tech (3.5 years ago). Now well I keep anything I like. Mostly cichlids. But I tend towards the very large fish. (IE Kens 1 dollar fish :-) and then tons of the large Malawis.)

Oh and I try to make fish keeping as easy for me as possible. Hence I only have a few tanks with potted plants. IE no substrate makes my life much easier. (If you hadn't gathered I am the type of person that works like mad then doesn't really want to do any work at all... and goes back and forth.)

Larry Bugg
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Larry here.
I'm a new member. Joined online last month and came to my first meeting last night. I meet some of you guys at the AGA convention (I was the guy working the registration/sales table and one of the runners at the auction). I've lived in the Atlanta area all my life. Grew up in Druid Hills and currently live in Cumming. I have had aquariums since I was 10 (45 years ago), but never really obsessed with them till I started my first planted tank a little over a year ago. I now have 7 heavily planted tanks. 3 are high tec with pressurized Co2 and 4 are low to medium light without Co2. Don't get me wrong, I still really like the fish also, but plants just made it a obsession. I have always loved gardening also so the marriage of the two hobbies threw me over the edge, lol. In the way of fish I keep Rainbows, Angels, German Blue Rams, Purple Moscow guppies, peppered and panda cories, Bristlenose Plecs, and Otos. Oh and a pair of really nice high fin lyretail swords that I picked up at the auction last night.

I am really looking to get to know more of you.

Krafty
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I am Rick. I just joined the forum yesterday. I am not a member of the club yet, but plan on coming to the March meeting to do so. I began keeping fish in 1980. I recently took about 4 years off after moving here from Boston (my fishroom was a casualty of the move). During the break I kept Dart Frogs. But I really miss fish. I am a former member of the following clubs/societies/associations: Potomac Valley Aquarium Society in Metro Washington DC., Boston Aquarium Society in Metro Boston, MA. (I am a former board member) , and the American Killifish Association. I am getting back into this slowly, with one tank of Killies and a pair of regular old bettas, who are breeding this evening. I am drawn to small fish, usually due to tank size contraints.
I look forward to meeting you all next meeting.

Rick "Krafty"

Chris Noto
01-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Great Caesar's Ghost, Santa! Put the frakking sword away! Puleeze! :)

Dino
01-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Bah, that is not even one of the big ones.

hsd
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Great Caesar's Ghost, Santa! Put the frakking sword away! Puleeze! :)
Santa Claws knows who's been naughty.

Dino
01-14-2009, 04:03 AM
You got that right.

Hilde
05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Krafty

Have you ever bred and sold killifish?

Kim

fishfarm
05-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Dave Ramsey has many species of Killies he breds and sells, we have some in the mini auction at almost every meeting. Ken

Missouri
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Folks, Stan here. I'm into breeding various strains of anglefish these days, several of which you've never seen in a Petsmart or Petco. Unfortunately I've not attended any of the meetings and given how little personal time I have (my family keeps me busy) but I plan to make it to the June meeting.

Chris Noto
05-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Welcome, Stan. I've been a member of AAAA a little longer than a year now, myself. Why don't you start a thread with some pics of your angels? I know that I'd love to see what you (and others) are up to! Thanks for posting.

Hilde
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi
I am Kim. I am forever 50. I am not a member of the club yet, but thinking of joining.

I started with a 10 gallon. I bought the 10 gallon tank kit and yellow fish at an impulse at Wall-Mart. Well later found that the bright yellow fish was a cichlid and would get to big for the tank, thus traded him in at LFS. March 2008 I upgrade to a 29 gallon tank, which was another impulsive buy at LFS. I bought it thinking that I would eventually fill it with a few Anglefish. That didn't happen though. I am concentrating mainly on aquascaping. Fish in the planted tank are are just a few cory's and platy.

I have allergic reactions to perfumes that cause the right side of my neck to cramp up, thus I may not be able to stay long at the meeting. So if you see a lady standing on the side that is me.

Missouri
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Chris, thanks. I've been toying with the idea of posting some pictures but also am considering starting my own website. I've not seen anyone on this forum mention licenses... I think I'm going to have to be a rebel and start one.

AG30135
05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi
I am Ala. I live in Douglasville. I am a member of the AAAA over a year now. I got started about 3 yrs ago by receiving some flowers for my birthday with a betta in it started to research the betta and I got him a 2 gallon tank,cory and a few neons. Someone had given me a 10 gallon tank for him to have more room for him. Was introduced to someone that had a 120 gal cichlid tank. I was so fascinated in it it was unreal they gave me then a 30 gal tank and 7 yellow labs it was a real joy to me to watch them grow had few disappointments along the way then met a person told me about AAAA they had a spring action coming up and I went was hooked since then.
I now have 2 55 gal tanks with African cichlids and the other tank 3 Frontosa's and 8 dophins think I am going to put the dolphins in the other tank because I am fixing to be a proud owner of 6 more frontosa's and I want then to be in the tank to them selves working on getting a tank 120 gal for my frontosa's. Also have a pond on my back deck with small koi's and mosquito fish for over a year now.