PDA

View Full Version : non green plants?

hsd
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Finally got around to replanting all the tanks today (just moved in the last week or so) and thought I would try to add some more color to the tank. Not just green plants, need some more variety. The ludwigia has been good at bringing in a bit of red/purple color to the tank.

Any thoughts on other plants that may work well in bringing in some more color? The 40g breeder tanks both have 2-3 watts per gallon, I vary the wattage just enough to avoid having to use co2. I dry dose ferts about twice a week. Flourite substrate, with laterite added in and the other tank has ecocomplete.

Oh a question for you plant gurus, can you have too deep a substrate in a tank? Any negative consequences? gas pockets? Wondering if there is an ideal depth. Before the move I had close to 4-6" deep of flourite in the 55g. And some of the plants thrived really well, extensive roots.

jmhart
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Can't have too deep with flourite, only negative is it's expensive and a waste of tank height. 3-4"is adequate, unless you want more depth for scaping purposes.

R macrandra, tiger lotus, cabomba furcata, l. aromatica, r. wallichi are all good non green plants for high tech tanks

Larry Bugg
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I have always been told 3 to 4 inches. That's what I keep in all my planted tanks.

I let one of my tanks go several weeks without trimming. I usually like the "jungle look" but it was so thick there was no swimming room left. Fortunately only small fish in the tank. They were happy with it. Anyway, most of what was grown out so thick was Ludwigia repens and Ludwigia arcuataXrepens. Have it floating in a bunch of my tanks in the fish room. Was planning on bagging it for the auction Sunday. Let me know if you are interested in some but sounds like you have the Ludwigia covered already.

hsd
10-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I've been looking up those plants jmhart, a few of them really stand out.

The flourite I originally got about 200 pounds worth from someone who was getting out of fw and just keeping his reefs. Got a decent deal. Was nice, gave me more than enough to put in a few tanks, got rid of some of it a month or two ago. Will probably go with a more modest depth of flourite this time in the 40g. The 55g only ended up with so much because it got too cloudy and I couldn't well judge how much I had put in, so I kept adding more and more. Then was too lazy to take it out.

Think the ludwigia I got may have been from you at one of the auctions. Seems to do ok in the tank, haven't had any growth explosions with it though. Will probably buy some at the auc again.

Somehow after the move the idea was to have less tanks set up but so far the only thing that's changed is the dimensions of the tanks. I'm hoping the change from the 55g to a 40g breeder makes it a bit easier for plants to do well under my setup. Have the substrate, the right lighting, and ferts, just no co2. Trying to avoid the co2 setup for now, not sure if I'm at that point yet. Though seeing pics of tanks like chlorophil's makes it tempting.

ChloroPhil
10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Come over to the Light side...get CO2...it will change your life forever. Yesssssss, my preciousssssssssss.

Larry Bugg
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Come over to the Light side...get CO2...it will change your life forever. Yesssssss, my preciousssssssssss.
Have to agree.................the reason for my growth is the light and Co2. I grow both Ludwigia's in my low light tanks but have very limited growth in them. In the high light/Co2 tanks I normally trim weekly and in the low light maybe every couple of months.

geotek
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
there there are the pretty red and purple plants you can grow, it's addictive, the CO2 is. LOL

FSM
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Rotala rotundifolia turns pink under higher light, it is easy to grow.