PDA

View Full Version : PH of municipal water in Grayson/Lawrenceville area???

fishman
09-23-2016, 01:38 PM
My cold water tap is showing a ph of 8.8, seems awfully high-anyone else in this area noticing this?

lindad
09-23-2016, 03:10 PM
My water in Decatur is the same.

York1
09-23-2016, 05:02 PM
I notice the tap water was high today when i calibrated my ph probe.They must have changed something because my tap water is usually around 6.5. I am in Lawrenceville

York1
09-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Just got out the test kits. My tap water is about 7.8 which is alot higher than normal

fishman
09-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Yeah,did a 50% water change on the Discus tank......they were not happy,which led me to check the PH....... looks like I will need to check the tap water ph before even considering every future water change,what a mess.

PS I called the water department,got the typical runaround transfer to here then there,to unworking or unanswered extensions,ended up with zero information and much frustration!

heatherbeast
09-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Generally, municipal water systems will run the pH higher to prevent corrosion of their metal fittings jand pipes by any free chlorine disinfectant residual that they may be using. Try letting the water age a few days before testing, you'll see the pH drop a bit, and it has the added benefit of letting the chlorine gas off.

fishman
09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Agree 100%,but according to online reports,our lake water source is 6.5ph and they add liquid lime to boost it to 7.2 to protect the pipes.......how it got to 8.8,and for how long,who knows????

Demonfish
09-25-2016, 01:24 AM
Systems have been known to botch the math and add too much NaOH. They also don't need to tell anyone if they switch water supplies for any reason (like the level of the lake is below the intake pipe or a neighboring system offered a lower price). Did your TDS change also? Low TDS water will come down in pH with time, harder water is a lot more of an issue.

"The City is currently pursuing the use of additional wells to supplement the daily demand. We have hopes that we will be able to produce in excess of 50% of our daily demand from groundwater"
http://www.lawrencevillega.org/government/utilities/water/

Looks like most of your water is from Lake Lanier via the gwinett county system, but they have a few wells and are looking to add more to save money. IMO the worst thing a water supplier can do is keep changing sources, but automatic valves and an increasingly interconnected supplies are make it increasingly easy. So keep the test kits out.

Larry Bugg
09-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Did your TDS change also? Low TDS water will come down with time, harder water is a lot more of an issue.

This was my first thought also. What is your TDS? Certainly sounds like you need to age your water for water changes on the discus. If the tds is still low, and I would bet that it is, then that would take care of the problem. I have always found that my discus always respond better to aged water anyway so that is what I do.

fishman
09-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied with info-I did a test by aging a few gallons {no aeration} in a bucket- PH dropped from 8.8 to 7.6 within 24 hours......quite a swing.Have never measured TDS.Aging water is going to be difficult in my situation,any alternatives?

aXio
09-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied with info-I did a test by aging a few gallons {no aeration} in a bucket- PH dropped from 8.8 to 7.6 within 24 hours......quite a swing.Have never measured TDS.Aging water is going to be difficult in my situation,any alternatives?

Aging it will be the simplest and most cost effective solution more then likely. You may be able to speed up the process by running a pump in the container you are going to be aging in. You can aim the pump upwards to agitate as much of the water's surface as possible, as well as running an air stone in the container.

Running the water through an RO unit will pretty much put you in the same boat, depending on how much water you need to make it might take you a full day to filter it. And then you still have to have a large container to store it in until you use it. On top of that you have to "re-mineralize" the water as the RO unit strips the water down entirely.

oneydjacks
09-25-2016, 09:48 PM
If you're concerned about the pH your best bet is to call the number on your water bill and ask if you can get the number of the water treatment operator or lab analyst. They should be able to tell you if that is the normal pH for your area or if you have an anomaly. You can always lower the pH by using CO2 aeration or vinegar or boil the oak leves that should be falling here shortly.

Demonfish
09-26-2016, 01:09 AM
I do recommend a TDS pen, it won't tell you pH, but its a quick and cheap way to tell if your water has suddenly changed. There are TDS/pH combo pens but the pH meters are a lot more expensive and the pH drop tests work well.

djramsey
09-26-2016, 07:58 AM
I am in Lawrenceville out by the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. Lawrenceville gets water from several sources. They do not announce when they change from one to the other. I have a couple of big Brute 40 gallon garbage cans. All fish water goes into them with aeration for 24 hours before use. That will stabilize the pH, and allow oxygen to get into the water. I put some chicken grit in the tubs to provide some calcium and magnesium for some buffering agents. Chicken grit works and is very inexpensive. A 5 lb bag will last for years using it like this. The TDS out of tap is under 20. Most places would call that distilled water.

fishman
09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Sadly,went out and got a brute 32 gallon grey can to begin aging water,plopped a Rio 800 water pump in it to circulate and agitate the water surface- checking ph every few hours til I get to 7.4- 7.8 so I can do my water change.What a PIA as now I must pre-plan my WC a day in advance vs a quick procedure that I could perform at a seconds notice.Plus gotta find a place to store this can that is domestically acceptable.

aXio
09-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Sadly,went out and got a brute 32 gallon grey can to begin aging water,plopped a Rio 800 water pump in it to circulate and agitate the water surface- checking ph every few hours til I get to 7.4- 7.8 so I can do my water change.What a PIA as now I must pre-plan my WC a day in advance vs a quick procedure that I could perform at a seconds notice.Plus gotta find a place to store this can that is domestically acceptable.

In the living room next to the flat screen... duh! =)