PDA

View Full Version : Live Food Recommendation?

lindad
09-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Looking for ideas of easy live foods that would fall in the size range between microworms/newly hatched brine shrimp and adult brine shrimp. I want to add to the variety of food for my fry without having to "catch" brine shrimp at an in-between size, if that makes sense.

djramsey
09-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Easy live food. 'Easy' and 'live' really do not go together. Easiest to raise, earthworms. Easy to cut up in water with scissors. Can be kept inside without odors. Just do small red wriggles, not big worms.
Perfect size food between baby brine shrimp and adult? Grindal worms. If you can find some, and manage to keep the mites out, they are easy. Potting soil and dry dog food/fish food/dry cat food, room temp. But the mites are my undoing.

Demonfish
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM
ken has some daphnia for delivery to auction. I never found that easy, though. Frozen daphnia is easier.

BobMajor
09-27-2016, 08:36 PM
I will be bringing a white worm culture to the auction. Best kept at temps of 50-60 Will die at higher temps and will not reproduce as profusely at lower temps Adults are approx. 1" but a culture has worms of variouss sizes

HN1
09-27-2016, 09:52 PM
What type of fry are you feeding?

lindad
09-27-2016, 10:32 PM
At the moment, just angels and Honduran red points.

Mog Carns
09-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Fleas are pretty easy.

Get a cat, let it outside, let it inside, wait a week. The carpet by the fish tank will be full of them. Just pick them off your leg and throw them in the tank.

Seasonally, gnats are pretty easy.

Walk outside, rub your hair with a paper towel. The towel will be full of gnats.

lindad
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Lol! I think I'll pass on the fleas and gnats. I don't need it to be THAT easy.

Garfieldnfish
09-28-2016, 03:00 PM
I keep grindal worms but I use coconut shell (coir) shavings as medium. I am having less problems with mites than I had with potting soil but they still occasionally take over a culture. I toss any cultures out where mites show up but I always have several going at the same time and the good ones always provide the starter culture for a new set.

Mosquito larvae are easy to do. Set a pan with an inch of water outside and wait a few days. Mosquito larvae will be in it. Only problem is if your fish miss a few, they will hatch and then you have mosquitos in the house. I stopped doing it when the last of my minnows passed away.
Even easier are scuds/gammarus shrimp. My CPDs will not eat the adults but newly hatched shrimp provide a constant food supply for them and they start out tiny and breed like rabbits. But once you have gammarus shrimp in your tank it is close to impossible to get rid of them again.