PDA

View Full Version : Silicone question

Leeatl
10-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Has anyone used this to reseal a tank ?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silico...0058/206692092 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-Iron-Grip-10-1-oz-Clear-Silicone-Adhesive-HD90058/206692092)

My HD has the GE #1 too , but this popped up in a search . Cost a little more than the #1 , but that is not an issue . Says it is 100% silicone , but would like to know if anyone has experience with it as far as strength goes . Thanks in advance .

Pierre
10-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Though some websites say the GE #1 is safe for fish, it was not my experience, though the silicon was cured for 48h. That is why I only buy from Grainger (I did last week) the RTV 100 Silicon.

smitty
10-04-2016, 06:25 AM
That probably isn't safe for your fish, it has mold resistant additives. Ge 1 door and window is safe once cured but depending on the size of your tank you may want something stronger like rtv.

aXio
10-04-2016, 06:27 AM
We have never had any issues with using the GE #1 silicone. It is pretty much the exact same thing as buying "Aquarium Silcone" by Aqueon or anything similar. In our experience it perfectly safe to use... we have used it on everything from sump filters to actual aquariums.

Now with that said GE #1 silicone is the cheapest and most basic choice out there. For larger projects and working on the aquarium itself we use the RTV 100 series silicone, as it is much stronger and forms a better bond.

Tangfan
10-06-2016, 07:00 AM
From looking at the details on the link you provided, this silicone has no isocyanates in it which as one can guess is a Cyanide based product that is the issue with most fungicides leaching into the water causing deaths. It appears safe, although,I have never used it. I have always used the GE#1 myself. But I do like the reviews for the RTV100 that I have seen on here from Pierre and Jakub. Might be what I try to use in the future.

Leeatl
10-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks all . I think I will go with the RTV 100 .

ronv
10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
GE 1 is what I have used in the past also... on tanks up to 120 gal. When cleaning up the leaking aquarium, be careful to get all the existing silicone off. New silicone will not stick well to old silicone.

Leeatl
10-10-2016, 06:50 PM
I can't find RTV anywhere locally so I am going with the GE 1 . It is just for resealing the inside of the tank so should be fine . Thanks for all the help .

aXio
10-11-2016, 06:17 AM
I can't find RTV anywhere locally so I am going with the GE 1 . It is just for resealing the inside of the tank so should be fine . Thanks for all the help .

We might have confused you guys a bit. RTV is a type of silicone not a brand of silicone. There are various brands that produce RTV silicone sealants.... Momentive, Proseal, Loctite, DAP, GE, etc