PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

congasteve
10-05-2016, 01:41 AM
I make my everyday money running a high end tropical fish ...Room. 3000Gal +. I've had fish my whole life. I frikkin love fish. I am now very versed in the importance of a really good, inline, low GPH pump. ehh...get it?
I am having problems with keeping my fry. I have 1000+ 10-20 day fry in five different 75 gal tanks, 2 tanks with bigger small fish. Three more tanks with Eggs and Wigglers.
I need some help!! Water is perfect as possible. Every tank (20+) is sucked and refilled with RO, enriched water, everyday. Quarantine tanks...the whole ****.
Any help or idea's about how to make these little fish grow, no matter how progressive, or stupid as ****, will be Welcome!
My Momma always told me that the first time you meet someone, is how they will always remember you. I have way more questions. Thanks All! Steve

Demonfish
10-05-2016, 04:46 AM
What are feeding? Everything I've read says lots of high quality food and water changes. For little fry in a big tank, though, you may need to help them find the food. Squirt a basterful right at the cloud several times a day. Also consider live food. Microworms and bbs are a pain but a wiggling food can encourage young fry to eat. What sort of fry? Some fish may need a nice green tank with algae to nibble on until they get a bit bigger.

Tropical
10-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Adding on to what DemonFish said:

It might be that in such a big tank, not every fish is finding food? Might be better to start them in a smaller tank, then move them as they get older,
But that definitely also depends on species and their current size.

If your not losing the fry, it may just be a slow growing species, so keep up with the water changes. Food can go bad and lose its nutritional value so maybe try something new? Same with frozen food.

If you tell us what type of fish, their size and what you're currently feeding, that will definitely help!

Btw, welcome!!

Tangfan
10-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the board/club. Not sure how much I can help you with your issue. By the sounds of it, your either keeping some sort of Discus or Angel or other type of South American. I am mostly old world and fry are typically not as hard to get to eat. From what I know on some of these fish (discus in particular) they like to eat the mucus off the parents. Are you keeping the fry with the parents or in separate tanks on their own? Other than White worm or BBS, you might also try some other sort of worm like a banana worm (varying size worms out there). Can you move the fry into a smaller container like a breeder box within the larger tank so as it is easier for them to find the food? Just trying to think of odd reasons why fish might be dying off - water quality doesn't seem to be the issue.

Demonfish
10-05-2016, 01:34 PM
You could also try raising the temp and increasing the hardness of the water. Fish can only grow as fast as their bones, so they need calcium.

canoe
10-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Based on his presentations to the club, Dave Ramsey would certainly advocate for keeping fry in a smaller volume of water. He uses 2-5 gallon containers regularly.

mountainman36
10-07-2016, 07:01 AM
As canoe said - smaller tanks to start. i raise lots of cory and Angelfish and other cichlid fry....even some gouramis....you need a small 2-5 gallon tank to start them in....they can find the food easily, and the water changes can be larger percentage, smaller volume. saves on water as well. i use fry food - small granule powder, and have good luck with decap brine shrimp eggs.

Pierre
10-08-2016, 03:19 PM
What fish are you keeping? 75 Gal for fry feels too big... I usually put them in a 10G full of java moss so that they can find some food. Maybe your water is too perfect. Again, without knowing the species, we cannot provide you with the best guidelines.