PDA

View Full Version : Filters and Heater for a 175 Gallon Frontosa Tank

biggfrny
10-11-2016, 09:07 AM
I am setting up a 175 gal aquarium for frontosas. I want some suggestions as how to suggest filters and heaters for it. Hang on the back or canister filters - how many, what make and how many. I am considering titanium heaters, what type and how many. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gary

York1
10-11-2016, 11:13 AM
I would go with 2 canister filters. I use eheim pro. For heaters I would use 2 300-400 watt hooked up to a heater controller for safety.I use and have no problem with my eheim heaters. Finnex titanium heaters are also pretty good

Tangfan
10-11-2016, 12:47 PM
On my 120 gal Mpimbwe Frontosa tank, I am using 1 canister filter and a sump/refugium with a filter sock and filled with plants. Canister is there to provide the majority of the mechanical filtration (although the socks do catch a lot of stuff). The refugium is meant to help control the nitrate rise. Theory taken from the Reefers out there. I keep my heaters in my sump to keep them out of sight.

Tank is not drilled, so I am using the standard hang on overflow system that is used in cases like this.

For plants, I started out using water sprite and coon tail, but these were not growing fast enough for my liking, so I have switched over to some Peace lilies and some Pothos Ivy (neither are completely submerged) for faster growth and to allow for how shallow my homemade sump is.

fishman
10-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Large sump or canister{s} personally,I would look at the Eheim 2262,it is proven, massive and great flow for that large aquarium.Heaters in sump if you go that way,again 2 Eheims with a inkbird 308S controller running nanny duty.

mountainman36
10-11-2016, 01:19 PM
im into redundance on a tank that big, so id prefer 2 large canisters over one really big one. more flow rate and water movement as another benefit. titanium heater for sure. some of the canister filters allow for a Heater either in line or internally.

aXio
10-11-2016, 02:00 PM
im into redundance on a tank that big, so id prefer 2 large canisters over one really big one. more flow rate and water movement as another benefit. titanium heater for sure. some of the canister filters allow for a Heater either in line or internally.

+1

I completely agree. I always use 2 filters over 1. Unless the filter is to be a sump then I just use 2 pumps for the redundancy. Canister brands that I personally recommend...

Aquatop (CF Series or Forza) , SunSun, or Fluval (FX Series, I'm not a fan of their regular canister line)

If money is an issue and you can keep up with decent water changes, then using two AquaClear 110 would be doable. Aquaclear is the ONLY hang on filter even worth considering on the market in my opinion. All other hang on filters just get you on what I like to call the "Cartridge Scheme".

I used to be a HUGE supporter of Eheim, but from what I have had to deal with over the past 4-5 years with issues and constant customer returns I can not consciously recommend them anymore.

The only heaters I use is the Ehiem Jager or titanium heaters with a reliable controller. (I prefer the Aquatop controller)

Jakub

smitty
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
I run aquaclear hob on my smaller tanks and sunsun cans and agree that other hobs are just a way to sell cartridges. I really like my sunsuns, lots of room and I haven't had an issue in over a year of neglect (only clean every other month sometimes less during softball season). I have a newer sun 7 and the footprint is a bit too wide which I don't like, I had to modify my door to fit it.

caricell
10-11-2016, 04:01 PM
SunSun.
I am running three of them, and I dont even know they're on.

Larry

I run aquaclear hob on my smaller tanks and sunsun cans and agree that other hobs are just a way to sell cartridges. I really like my sunsuns, lots of room and I haven't had an issue in over a year of neglect (only clean every other month sometimes less during softball season). I have a newer sun 7 and the footprint is a bit too wide which I don't like, I had to modify my door to fit it.

oxheart
10-12-2016, 04:11 AM
fx5 and a cascade 1500 , both extremely reliable filters . heaters I only use finnex easily set , reliable {imo} I use the titanium.
Rick

aquariumbeauty
05-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Large sump or large external canister filters personally, I would look at the Eheim 2262, it is proven, massive and great flow for that large aquarium. Heaters in sump if you go that way, again 2 Eheims with a inkbird 308S controller running nanny duty.