PDA

View Full Version : sick tiger barb

MichaelWms62
10-11-2016, 06:11 PM
I have a 36g planted tank with 12 tiger barbs of different color variants. This afternoon my large platium female is hovering right at the surface. She seems to be breathing rapidly. She can swim down but she always returns back to the top. The rest of the guys are acting normal. Water checks ok. What is wrong and what do I do?

Tropical
10-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Sounds like problems with swim bladder. Is she bloated? Look from the top and see if her scales are sticking out (like a pine cone). If it is, this is dropsy, and unfortunately not much you can do. Sometimes it goes away by itself but not always.

smitty
10-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm not a disease expert at all but sounds like a swim bladder problem. I've heard peas help but I haven't had success with them. I've let the tank fast a couple days and it's helped but I don't know if it was the fasting or the time that did it. I'm sure someone knows better than me.

MichaelWms62
10-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Should I move her over into my hospital tank? I don't want to stress her more but I also don't want risk the other fish. Thanks for the help.

smitty
10-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I'd say it would depend on if it's really swim bladder or not.

MichaelWms62
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't think its swim bladder because its not that she can't swim down she just doesn't. I checked on her during the night and she was sleeping in the plants with the rest of the fish. So she doesn't have to be at the top, she is just hanging out there.

Tropical
10-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Maybe she is being bullied instead? Especially if it's a female... I would put her in the hospital tank, and monitor her. Before putting her back, rearrange the tank a little and add some more hiding places maybe?