PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature

Brubaker
10-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Don't know if this has been covered before.

I always wondered how close I could guess the temperature coming out of my tap matched the tank temp when doing water changes. Adjusting the hot down and cold up to get it just right or a little cooler. I finally have a way that I do not have to guess, I have one of those infrared temperature guns and take the tank temperature and then aim it at my tap water and adjust the hot/cold ratio until I get the temp I need. No more guessing or wondering. Great tool and they are fairly cheap on ebay.

smitty
10-18-2016, 05:33 AM
I have one of those, I'll give it a try. Great idea

djramsey
10-18-2016, 07:33 AM
I paid around $25 for mine on ebay several years ago. Can stand in one spot and check the temps on 85 tanks in a couple of minutes. Helps find those stuck heaters before too much damage is done. That and a TDS meter, also around $25 are two esential tools in the fishroom.

Tangfan
10-18-2016, 08:53 AM
I purchased my TDS meter off of amazon for under $10 and got my infer red temp gauge at Harbor Freight for ~$25 as well. Both are decent gauges with the stated error being acceptable for my practice (temperature is +/- 3 degrees F if my memory serves correctly). More accurate (sensitive) gauges are significantly more expensive. But these are real fun to use as well. I find my fish like to chase the red dot and I do play with them with it.

smitty
10-18-2016, 09:08 AM
I purchased my TDS meter off of amazon for under $10 and got my infer red temp gauge at Harbor Freight for ~$25 as well. Both are decent gauges with the stated error being acceptable for my practice (temperature is +/- 3 degrees F if my memory serves correctly). More accurate (sensitive) gauges are significantly more expensive. But these are real fun to use as well. I find my fish like to chase the red dot and I do play with them with it.

My fish love the red dot as well. Almost as much as the cats do.