PDA

View Full Version : Burmese badis

cswain123
10-20-2016, 12:24 PM
I got four of these guys at an auction in Florida and I think I have 2 males and 2 females. Two are significantly larger and one is definitely a male, he's always showing off. They were fairly skinny when I got them but luckily they eat frozen brine shrimp like crazy. They're fat, they survived hurricane matthew without power for 6 days, and I think I'm ready to attempt breeding. I'm planning to set two of them up in a separate tank with driftwood and anubias. Small sponge filter. I'll continue worth frozen brine feeding but I've also got grindal worms I'm going to start feeding. What I've found online said they breed readily for most hobbyists. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience breeding them and had any advice? Like water parameters, type of caves, etc. Any and all apreciated. Or advice based on breeding other badis!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ronv
10-20-2016, 01:10 PM
My only experience is with B. Buxar. They breed much like cichlids. Mine used a flower pot. Are yours in a community tank now? My approach would probably be to leave all four of them together. I would think a 20L would be big enough. I don't remember mine being terribly aggressive and the competition of another pair might help.

cswain123
10-20-2016, 03:05 PM
They are in a 20g now but lots of tank mates. All tetras and danios so they are the only ones down low. The showy male is the only one who has a fixed territory. They'll all hit each other a little but never any chasing. No real apparent damage done. Meant to attach pic earlier. They have one inch plecos caves but I don't think male and female can fit inside. I'll add some pots. Thanks Ron. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/9527724e5b106776881cedfa42d61baa.jpg

ronv
10-20-2016, 03:10 PM
I think I might would leave they where they are. Nice fish. Put me on your list when you have babies...

Tropical
10-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Wow gorgeous fish!! Also interested in fry when you get them!

seriously fish has really nice profiles for Badis and other Nano fish, I'd look there for specific water parameters.

BobMajor
10-20-2016, 07:17 PM
I have kept and bred several species of badis and Dario The picture you posted looks like it is orange and black which looks like B.buxar-----B burmanicus from Burma is a red and blue stripped fish.Although badis appear to be similar to cichlids they breed more like gouramis..They are secretive cave spawners , the male embraces the females the way bettas do. Once the eggs are laid the male becomes very aggressive in chasing the female away from the eggs. The fry after hatching stay hidden in the gravel or in low plants like java mossThey are very small and hard to see .I have not found the adults to be fry eaters but it is always safer to raise he fry separately.Microworms are a good first food because they sink to the gravel. Later as you see the fry start venturing out of the gravel you can start feeding brine shrimp. For help identifying the badis species you have you can go to fishbase.org once you get to the badis species there is a place to go to Google images that will show lots of pictures of various badis species Good luck hope you are able to breed them

HN1
10-20-2016, 09:21 PM
I have zero experience with them, but do know that "Burmese Badis" are actually b. ruber 95% of the time. I would definitely follow Bob's advice for breeding and raising badis.

BobMajor
10-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Len is correct what was known as badis burmanicus in older references is now been renamed b.ruber.In most reference books you will only see information on two to three species of badis.Currently there are 23 recognized species. Most are native to India and Bangladesh but there are 7 species from Burma (mynamar ) so it is hard to tell what species you have

cswain123
10-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Thank you Bob and Len. Bob, I've been exploring that website. I've compared the ones I have with the Buxar and I don't think they are the same. I wish they were the Buxar! I'm almost certain mine are the B. ruber. After looking at fish base and following it through google images, there are some identical to the ones I have. The most colorful male is in even more dramatic coloring and is keeping everyone away from his little pleco cave. I saw him and one of the females chasing each other around the tank more than usual yesterday. Perhaps if they haven't spawned they are getting closer. Planning to pick up some small pots and a bit to make some holes today so we'll see. Thanks again for the input. Always great to actually know what kind of species you're trying to breed. :)

cswain123
11-02-2016, 12:15 PM
The male that had been showing the most color had been staying in a small pleco cave for about a week and a half but lost most of his color a few days ago and started spending more time outside of the cave. Took the opportunity to remove all the small caves. There was no way a betta like embrace and spawning could happen there. I added a homemade slate pleco cave that is larger. Still might be small for an embrace to happen but we'll see. Also tried my hand at drilling a hole in a Terra cotta pot. It wasn't too bad and I think it turned out pretty well so I added one of those too. Now there are only two caves to choose from in opposite corners. The one male still hangs around where the small cave was but I'm hoping he'll venture behind the driftwood into the Terra cotta pot. Also snapped a pic of what I believe to be a rotund little female. Been feeding brine shrimp and grindal worms heavily. 50755076 50775078

ronv
11-02-2016, 01:14 PM
A tip on drilling terra cotta... Soak it for a couple of days first, then drill.

cswain123
11-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Definitely did Ron! I think the drill bit I used would be dust without the soaking lol. Still took a surprising amount of force and time to get through.

HN1
11-02-2016, 08:52 PM
A tip on drilling terra cotta... Soak it for a couple of days first, then drill.

Haven't ever drilled it. Scoring, breaking, and sanding it always worked without any significant preps.

cswain123
12-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Confirmed little wigglers stuck to the back of the slate pleco cave. Definitely some of the smallest fry I've seen. Look like little danio or other egg scatterer fry. Not really sure when the male will bring them out to feed. Going to drop in a lot of Java moss around the cave for infusoria and protection. They are still in the community tank with lots of tetras. Hoping he will bring these out in the next couple of days otherwise they'll starve in the cave

Tropical
12-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Congrats!! That's awesome! Do you think they will survive with all the tetras?

mountainman36
12-19-2016, 06:50 PM
try some green water if you dont have some yet.

cswain123
12-20-2016, 10:05 PM
I think they have a chance with the tetras. They all stay at the top and the male is great at maintaining his territory. I put java moss around the cave but I think my meddling may have caused him to eat the fry. I didn't see any in the cave when I looked today. They would benefit from green water but I don't think I can accommodate. They're in a 20g community. Might try to nab the pair into a 2.5 or 5g gallon or maybe just take the cave when I notice fry the next time.

ronv
12-21-2016, 12:02 PM
I thing I would put all four of your adults in a species only tank and leave them alone. I find that when I get excited about a new spawn in one of my tanks and try to take some sort of action, it usually turns out worse than if I had left everything alone to start with.

cswain123
12-21-2016, 12:38 PM
That's Probably a better plan Ron. I think I'll try and setup a five or a ten for them then and leave them to it.

cswain123
01-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Another update. I didn't move these guys into a different tank. It's still the same setup. Last week I did a huge water change and all four fish were in breeding dress the next day. I continued with frozen brine shrimp feeding. Generally 3/4 of a cube is what they get a day. I feed flake and crumbles too but the tetras and danios eat that. Never noticed the badis touch them. The two males retired to their usual caves and one has not been coming out for food the past couple days. I peeked in his cave with a flashlight tonight and took a couple pictures to share. There are wigglers/fry. They are mostly on the back wall and back floor of the cave. The java moss is still around the cave from the last time I meddled so I'm going to leave them be. Hopefully I'll se him emerge with a little swarm in the next few days. One pic you can only see the male but if you look to the back in the other pic you'll see fry on the wall.