PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for digital thermometers needed

zyyoll
10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Hello, AAAA friends—
I would appreciate your advice in choice of digital thermometers for my aquariums. I have 3 aquariums with heaters but no digital thermometers. I have no experience with this type of thermometer and am confused by the many that are advertised. I understand there are some that do not have a temperature probe but can read the temperature through the glass. Are these going to be accurate enough, or is the probe type the best kind. Also I’d appreciate information on the brand and model no. Thanks for your advice!

Tangfan
10-24-2016, 04:00 PM
I use some inexpensive ones that I got off of ebay. See link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Sensor-Thermometer-Temperature-Measurement-Weird-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-/172315040872?hash=item281ec6dc68:g:k5oAAOSwHoFXus6 Z

These are not the most accurate (rated at +/-3F), but I have found that if they are off, they are always off the same amount over the range of my tanks. I verify their accuracy with an old fashion liquid aquarium thermometer (again, these are not the most accurate either). Hope this helps.

smitty
10-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Mine are basically identical, you got a better price though mine were 8.99 for a two pack. I checked with temp gun and some old color strips and was pretty much in the right ballpark all within a degree of the other cheap reference used.

zyyoll
10-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks I bought some on ebay and a 20 pack of LR44 Maxell batteries also on ebay.