PDA

View Full Version : What has everyone been working with lately?

ronv
11-01-2016, 10:14 AM
The forum has been a little slow lately so I thought I would try to generate some discussion... What fish or fish related project are you working on right now. Did you get anything at the fall auction that you are excited about?

smitty
11-01-2016, 11:20 AM
I am finishing up a 40 tall SA tank for my youngest daughter. She's upgraded from a 10g that's been everything from a guppy tank to grow out to a hospital.

aXio
11-01-2016, 12:03 PM
About to start setting up my fish room at the new house! Lots of great things planned. I will post lots of pictures.

Igster
11-01-2016, 02:08 PM
5074More of mainly just maintenance than anything... down to six tanks 🙁 On a positive note, have five B. macrostoma fry approaching 3/4 of an inch...seems at least for me the secret is to leave the parents completely alone in a tank filled with java moss and just feed them.

Tangfan
11-01-2016, 02:37 PM
I have been shifting around whats in my tanks. Still am very heavy into Africans - pushing more towards Tanganyikians over Malawians. Having some success breeding my N. Buescheri Kamakonde. But also expanding the types of shrimp I have. I have had large success with my RCS, but am getting into some Blue and Yellow Neos as well as starting up 2 tanks with various Caridinias. Looking forward to those tanks taking off for me.

Garfieldnfish
11-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Frankly, trying to downsize. Down to 17 tanks from 19, even so both of the "empty" tanks are still set up just without occupants at the moment. Well, that is not really true either both have plenty of snails left and one also sports a few scuds.
But my L340s have bred again. He is sitting on wrigglers. I might have to use these two tanks as grow out tanks, providing he is a good dad this time and does not kick out the entire brood like the last couple of times. When he kicks them out too early, the scuds attack the egg sacks effectively killing the fry. I was only able to save 5 last time as he did this in the middle of the night. I hope this time he does a better job and guards them until the egg sacks are absorbed.
I practice fish birth control. Males guppies in one tank, females in another. Same for BNs and I do not collect CPD eggs anymore either. Besides the plecos, the only other critters that are breeding are pygmy and hastatus corys, and assassin snails.
Anyone in need of Black Moscow Guppies I have some for sale.

cswain123
11-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Some of the fish I got at the fall auction were a Pair of hrp and a pair of calico convicts. The hrp spawned and had fry but she didn't survive hurricane matthew/ the male, not sure which. All hrp I've had always get killed except one big male. The convicts have what looks to be a thousand fry that started becoming free swimming today. Two Thomasi I picked up have been acting frisky and they stay together constantly. Just been feeding heavily and frozen and doing water changes in hopes of a spawn. Got some danio kyathit and long fin rosy barbs I need to set up for spawning too. Kribs on eggs too. Space is running out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Igster
11-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Ever try one of those egg tumblers made for mouthbrooder eggs/ fry?

Demonfish
11-02-2016, 12:47 AM
I didn't go to the auction and am also downsizing. I tried to sell Peter all my Lake
Bermin tilapia, but I missed two, they must have been housekeeping in a cave, because when I moved them to 20 to bide until the auction, a cloud of fry appeared. They are salable size now and possibly sex-able by size. Hopefully there are larger male and smaller females and not just two spawns. I bought them as bakossiorum, buy Peter thinks they are too big. They do look like online pics Coptodon bythobates. One spawn looks like enough fish to flood the club.

Tangfan
11-02-2016, 07:05 AM
Ever try one of those egg tumblers made for mouthbrooder eggs/ fry?

I use an egg tumbler on a regular basis for my Taiwan Reef eggs. They breed regularly with my Synodontis Multipunctatus and I like stripping the females at ~ 3 to 4 days to avoid the catfish getting to large to get out of the females mouth. Taking the eggs this early requires the use of a tumbler. They do work quite well. Just make sure you have enough water flow to keep the eggs moving.

Mog Carns
11-02-2016, 09:38 AM
I missed the Auction and the September meeting, so nothing I have is shiny. I keep the cockroaches of the river, mostly... Kribs and White Clouds.

cswain123
11-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Mom and dad with their brood. Still some straggling in the pot. 50795080

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk