PDA

View Full Version : Eradicating Mini Ramshorns

Brubaker
11-01-2016, 09:30 PM
A month ago, I noticed two small snails that I had never seen before in a 55 I have. The only recent additions were a plant and a couple of guppies. When I saw a third one I did some research and found mini ramshorns These things are small, only a 1/8 inch across and maybe 1/16 inch thick. I have no interest in snails other than some rabbits I have that breed very slowly. These mini ramshorns must hatch and breed the next day. I have noticed white dots on my glass and remove them every time I see them. It seems I am getting 5 -10 of these snails appearing daily. I have had success eradicating regular ramshorns and pond snails, but these things are so small and breed when they are so small, I am concerned there will always be a survivor. Anyone have a good way to purge these things other than a tear down with bleach. The inhabitants are ABN's, rabbit snails, koi swordtails and guppies. Plants are java fern, java moss, crypts and Bucephalandra.

Thanks for any input.

jaydenh636
11-02-2016, 12:56 AM
What about trying assassin snails?

Demonfish
11-02-2016, 01:38 AM
You want to kill one snail, but not another in the same tank? Sounds difficult. Most snail killing chems linger. With bigger ramhorns, i'd just smash them against the glass and let the fish eat them or put in a snail-eater like a rainbow cichild.

Mog Carns
11-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Bring them to the meeting and let people give you $5 for them in the auction.

BobMajor
11-02-2016, 08:07 PM
I have these in several of my tanks,no idea how I got them Ionly squash them when I see them on the glass have not tried to eradicate them .They don't seem to bother plants my concern is them eating fish eggs

Brubaker
11-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Would an assassin snail kill them all? If I can't eliminate them by being vigilant and removing them every time I see them, I can put the rabbit snails in a different tank and put a couple assassin snails in to kill the mini ramshorns. Are assassin snails that efficient in getting all other snails or will some survive? $5 for some mini Ramshorn anyone interested?

Tropical
11-03-2016, 08:20 AM
The thing with assassin snails is they reproduce as well, but slower and are prettier... besides that they'll never kill all the ramshorns. A better way to remove as many as you can, is placing a piece of blanched (boiled for 30 seconds) lettuce in at night and removing in the morning.
A loach of some kind will also take care of a lot of snails.

But at the end of the day, they'll always be there!

Pierre
11-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Kuli loach took care of all my snail in one tank.