PDA

View Full Version : Possible sick rummy, please help identify

jba6511
11-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Can someone please help identify what this could be on my rummy nose? It has been there for two days now and looks like a raised white spot on his head. At first I was thinking debri, but it seems to be on there pretty well.

Some additional background, when I first got my rummy noses a few months back, I had an outbreak of white patches that did not look like ich, but would cause the fish to lose color in the nose (turn pale), start breathing hard, and eventually pass. I lost 2-3 rummies while the rest remained unaffected (did not bother the rasboras either). It has been a few months since then, and I had one get the same white patch four days ago and exhibit the same signs. I immediately put it in a quarantine tank for fear of it spreading. That fish did not make it. I did a 50% water change and while I was at it added some new plants. Shortly after, this white spot appeared on the rummy nose. However, it does not look like what the others previously had. Is this just ich or something else?

The tank is a 20 gallon long that has been up and running since February. It is pretty heavily planted (mainly crypts and dwarf water lettuce), temp is at 76, and I have 6 harlequin rasboras, 5 rummy nose tetras, a Siamese algae eater and a few nerite snails. Water change is 20% weekly (sometimes every other week). Appreciate any insights.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52rzhe

Tropical
11-20-2016, 07:11 PM
I think it just lost a scale, and the light is reflecting off of it. Maybe do a Methylene Blue dip directly on the spot.(net the fish, then hold it out of the water and apply a few drops of MB, then release into the tank).

I would monitor it a bit and see if it spreads or spears somewhere else as well.

jba6511
11-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks, so far no additional spots have developed. I will keep monitoring. Order some MB as well so will see how that goes.