PDA

View Full Version : breeding marble BNP by beginner comments???

WmWald
11-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Was cleaning out my fish room and put all my BN Pleacos in one tank. Now I noticed a male sitting in corner with eggs. First time for him and ME.
I got two solid bricks and put one on top of the other cantilever. He is still there. They are in a60 gallon tank with about 10 half grown Silver Dollars.
Will the other plecos bother him? Any help would be appreciated.

Willliam Wald

cswain123
11-27-2016, 10:49 PM
I don't think the other plecos will bother him. Mine never bothered the male while he was guarding eggs. When he allows the fry to swim around the tank the silver dollars will probably pick them off though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WmWald
11-28-2016, 01:08 AM
Any chance of moving the male and eggs? How long til they hatch.

william

Garfieldnfish
11-28-2016, 07:48 AM
I move my plecos with eggs and/or wrigglers sometimes but they are in a cave and easily moved. You could try moving the eggs but make sure they stay covered in water during the move and them move the male but there is a good chance he will no longer guard the eggs in a new environment. Silver dollars are more vegetarian than carnivores but I too believe they would be picking off the fry. They should hatching in under a week but the male guards them for up to 3 weeks. It might be better to wait until they hatch and move around a bit before moving the fry to another tank. With decent water flow and no predators they won't need the father once they hatch. Is there a chance you could temporarily move the silver dollars until the fry are large enough to be safe with them? BN fry grow pretty quickly.

WmWald
11-29-2016, 01:23 AM
I think I will try to move the other fish out temporarily. There were a few eggs on the apple snail's shell. Not sure what happen there. The mystery snails are not bothering them. Thanks for all the comments

William

cswain123
11-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Good luck with them. If they are unsuccessful this time toss in a cave and they'll be at it again in a couple weeks. I had a pair that was successful 3/4 spawns. Occasionally the bunch of eggs would end up outside the cave just lying in the substrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk