PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf puffers

Brittney Rau
12-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Can they reside in a brackish tank or are they solely freshwater? I'm reading conflicting information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HN1
12-07-2016, 10:14 PM
C. travancoricus are fully FW fish. Get a species name. Common names can cloud things, especially online. "Dwarf puffers, Pea puffers, etc. are usually sold correctly, but beware of the puffers that require brackish to marine as they age.

Brittney Rau
12-07-2016, 10:20 PM
I want some small fish to go in a brackish tank. I have some bumblebee gobies and I am trying to identify some potential tankmates that stay small.

HN1
12-07-2016, 10:32 PM
What size tank? I haven't done a long term brackish tank myself so I probably can't be of much help, but I've kept DPs.

Tropical
12-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Dwarf puffers prefer a single species tank IMO as they get bored easily and will harass tankmates. Mine have killed shrimp, Danio fry, and I've heard they don't like bumblebee gobies either...

They can be kept in brackish but not required...

Brittney Rau
12-08-2016, 07:08 PM
I've never had brackish before but a LFS has some bumblebees in a FW tank and they looked like crap. This particular store orders from SunPet and I knew the Latin name thus verifying that they were in fact the brackish species, not the FW ones. I had an empty 10g that I was going to use as a QT tank for my micros and I had some marine salt that I aquired when I bought some tanks and stuff at an estate sale so I thought I'd give it a go. I added 2tbsp per gallon and after dripping them and putting them in the tank they colored up, became active and seemed happy. I added some frozen (thawed) bloodworms and they both ate! I was trying to research small fish that could go with them since it's only a 10g. I did read that gobies are fine in the 10 as long as there is no more than 2 of them. There is rocks and driftwood in the tank. So...suggestions?

HN1
12-09-2016, 05:14 PM
How are you measuring your salinity? What level are you aiming for?

Brittney Rau
12-10-2016, 07:06 AM
How are you measuring your salinity? What level are you aiming for?

I have an instant ocean hydrometer that I got with that lot from the estate sale. Im keeping it at 1.005 spec gravity.