PDA

View Full Version : Tankless Water heaters.... mini?

Erik_Clark
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Last one from me today. I am setting up a new fish room and so the possibilities are endless at this point.

I live in a basement so it's oddly shaped. Its a square with house stuff (water heater etc) in the middle (like a square doughnut). My land lord and I are going to tap into one of the pipes down here so I will have a source of running water other than a shower and a bathroom sink.

I decided to do some browsing and it occurred to me. Why aren't there mini tank less water heaters I could run my water through? Maybe be able to set it to the exact temperature I need for each tank then just fill from the hose after it's gone through the heater. I am also planning on installing a chlorine and cloromine scrubber but I have some experimenting to do with making that work for bucket water changes and a drip system.

Ok off topic... Has anyone used any small tankless heaters in this way?

here are some examples. They are not too badly priced either:

Maybe something like this hacked a little : Link (https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Instant-Shower-support-Included/dp/B01EEBSH78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481315030&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+tankless+water+heater)
Or something just straight out of the box? : Link (https://www.amazon.com/Stiebel-Eltron-Mini-2-5-1-Tankless/dp/B00TEGP5UG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1481315109&sr=8-11&keywords=mini+tankless+water+heater)

Both links take you to amazon.

Anyone used one of these for this or a similar purpose? Anyone thought of it and changes their minds? Thoughts?

Erik

aXio
12-09-2016, 07:16 PM
If you are running such a large system to justify needing something like a water heater at that point it is usually much cheaper electricity wise to just heat the entire room via central air. That is how we do it at our store. Plus to use something like tank-less water heater you would still need to plumb into your system and/or all your aquariums. Most of those heaters run on brass fittings so you would need to convert over to PVC or flex tubing.

Why are you looking to install a chlorine scrubber? If you don't want spend the money on conditioners you can just simply age the water in a storage container with a pump/air stone.

Tropical
12-09-2016, 08:29 PM
I think the OP wants to heat the new tap water(which is probably ice cold) not the tanks themselves. Then a chlorine scrubber would make sense, would make for REALLY easy water changes!

I've never seen it done, but I think It could work, if everything is securely attached and doesn't leak.

aXio
12-10-2016, 08:11 AM
I think the OP wants to heat the new tap water(which is probably ice cold) not the tanks themselves. Then a chlorine scrubber would make sense, would make for REALLY easy water changes!

I've never seen it done, but I think It could work, if everything is securely attached and doesn't leak.

Hmmmm I guess I assumed he was talking about constant heat in the tanks because why couldn't he just get warm tap water? If he and his landlord are going to be tapping into the main water line of the home he should be able to get hot and cold water. Then if you really want exact temperature just get a non-expensive digital thermometer and adjust the water accordingly.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think in most applications there are just cheaper and simpler solutions to heating water. Unless as I mentioned you are running a very large breeding operation or wholesale. I just don't see it being worth the work, time, and money for a home fish room.

Erik_Clark
12-10-2016, 08:34 AM
When my project is over with I will have 16 10 gallon tanks running and misc othere up to 100 gallons. I have one of those infrared thermometers and they work great. I am putting my 16 10's on a drip system.

I had a tempetatur shock kill a tank of fish once so now I am super paranoid. Getting to water to match within a couple degrees is a pain in the butt. Heating the room is my preferred method of dealing with temperatures but I am in a drafty basement. Right now it's running about 60 at night and will fall as it gets colder. Wish I could heat the whole darned basement. LOL

Maybe this may be a smaller time solution: http://www.target.com/p/-/A-14569337

I also wonder if running all my water through a small tankless heater wouldnt save on electricity than pulling it from the house regular water heater. Thanks for the discussion.

aXio
12-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I also wonder if running all my water through a small tankless heater wouldnt save on electricity than pulling it from the house regular water heater. Thanks for the discussion.

Unless you are going to have a massive setup from my experience it will always be cheaper just to get your warm water from the main water heater in the home. From the sound of it your setup is going to be on the small side for a fish room. If you are going to be running 160g (10g x 16) + another 100 gallons worth of tanks then you will only be at 260 gallons worth of aquariums. That is rather small amount of water comparatively when talking about fish rooms. I honestly think you would need to have an operation in the multiple thousands of gallons to justify the electrical cost and work of running a dedicated heating unit.

A lot of people that run fish rooms prefer to age their water. That way the pH has time to settle and they can naturally get rid of any chlorine with agitation and an air stone. But at the same time in the aging container you can run a titanium heater w/ controller and get the water to the exact temperature that you want it. Then just run a hose from a pump and pump the water into all the aquariums that need it. This will be exactly how I will have it set up in my fish room once it is done.

Erik_Clark
12-10-2016, 03:20 PM
good idea! Thanks!