PDA

View Full Version : TDS test = 0

Hilde
12-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I am tired and forgot the test is for alkalinity instead of for TDS. Wish I could change the title.

Alkalinity test = 0. What can I do to increase the Alkalinity?

gofish
12-22-2016, 08:05 PM
If you're using tap water, your alkalinity shouldn't be 0. Are you using distilled or RO water? Regardless, you can add baking soda to increase the alkalinity. This can cause a drastic pH shift that may harm your fish so be careful. Using aragonite, crushed oyster shells, texas holey rock, etc. would be a much safer way to gradually increase alkalinity.

Hilde
12-22-2016, 08:09 PM
If you're using tap water, your alkalinity shouldn't be 0.
Not using distilled or RO water. I think dosing with peroxide may have lowered the alkalinity.

mountainman36
12-23-2016, 07:43 AM
i suspect your test is bad, or you may have done something wrong. I have had a lot of tests come back unexpected results, and it was usually the test kit was old or failed. Try it a few more times, and with a different kit and see...bring it to one of the reef shops and have them test it too/instead.

Demonfish
12-23-2016, 10:17 AM
I agree with 1/4 tsp baking soda for 5 gallons. Old time recommendation. Just to keep the pH from crashing. But a bag of dolomite in the filter would also work, albeit more slowly. Our tap water after a lot of rain can be very low in everything. I've measured 30 TDS.

Hilde
12-23-2016, 07:34 PM
i suspect your test is bad, or you may have done something wrong. I have had a lot of tests come back unexpected results, and it was usually the test kit was old or failed. Try it a few more times, and with a different kit and see...bring it to one of the reef shops and have them test it too/instead.
I had it tested at Pet Supermarket. I forgot I do have a gh/Kh test kit. So I will test it again this Saturday.

Thanks everyone for your help.

caricell
12-24-2016, 07:25 AM
Put a small bag of crushed coral in your filter.

I had it tested at Pet Supermarket. I forgot I do have a gh/Kh test kit. So I will test it again this Saturday.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hilde
01-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Put a small bag of crushed coral in your filter.
Oh Forgot about that! If no one here will sell me some I can get Manna Pro Chick oyster shells at Petsmart.

According to test strips at Petsmart now Kh is 15 and gh is 102. Ph is 6.8. Probably to too low to inject Co2.