PDA

View Full Version : Tanks for tots - lol

Erik_Clark
12-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I found a couple people on craigslist who both wanted to set up tanks for the holiday and it got me thinking.

Would the association be interested in starting a program for next year, collecting tanks, hardware, plants, fish, and a tutorial for needy people?

Not sure how good of an idea it is but I would be willing to spear head it if I can get one or two people to help me organize.

Might be a good way for the group to get involved with local civic work.

Thanks
Erik

cswain123
12-25-2016, 07:07 PM
There was a club chair position similar to this in the past. I believe it was titled the goodwill chair. It was aimed at nursing homes, schools, or other community places. I don't think people in unstable financial situations make the best pet owners period. People asking for hand outs on Craigslist rub me the wrong way. Plus tots are not going to be keeping up with tank maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Erik_Clark
12-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Tanks for tots was really just a play on words. The focus doesn't HAVE to be on craigslist, or craigslist at all. It just gave me the idea. If it's not something the group is into, no worries. I am an idea guy. I throw them out and see what sticks.

THANKS
erik

heatherbeast
12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I think the club would be interested in providing tank upkeep and live stock for public spaces like nursing homes and public schools! The tutorials (and annual refreshers!!!) would be good for more active seniors. Let's keep brainstorming and see if we can come up with something that does stick. :D

Tanks for tots was really just a play on words. The focus doesn't HAVE to be on craigslist, or craigslist at all. It just gave me the idea. If it's not something the group is into, no worries. I am an idea guy. I throw them out and see what sticks.

THANKS
erik

HN1
12-26-2016, 04:53 PM
We did have a Goodwill program going for several years. We provided and maintained a small tank at the Forsyth County Senior Center which was set up for 5 or 6 years. We have also provided various equipment and livestock to 2 schools which were up for varying amounts of time. All that said, I'd love to see something similar revived. The biggest hurdle for me was scheduling. Most of the types of places we have worked with are only accessible during the day on weekdays.

Do we have a volunteer for the esteemed position of Goodwill Chariman? ;)

Len