PDA

View Full Version : Floating Fish

brian313313
01-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I have a 29g tank with Guppies, Zebra Danios, & Neon Tetras. I noticed about a month ago that one of the Zebra Danios had trouble staying down and swims with the tail towards the surface. Today, I see one of the Neon Tetras starting to do that as well. My research indicates first to check water. I'm at 20ppm Nitrate, 0 nitrite & ammonia. PH 7.5. Not perfect but not where I should be having problems either. Second suggestion is constipation. I don't have the brand, but I've been feeding a high-quality marine flake. I didn't think there was much difference. Both fish are eating heartily although the Danio is not growing with the siblings. I'm going to try not feeding them for three days since this was the cure for constipation. Do you think it could be the marine flake? Is it that much different than fresh water?

Paramters Summary
- 20ppm Nitrate
- 0 Nitrite
- 0 Ammonia
- 7.5 pH
- 20% weekly water changes
- planted with anacharis
- set up for 2 months, but with established filtration from 55g tank. There was never a cycle.

Thanks.

-Brian

brian313313
01-06-2017, 08:33 AM
New Life Spectrum was the food brand. I seem to have lost the can so I don't know if it was marine or all-purpose. It was originally purchased at LFS for a reef tank though so it wasn't specific for freshwater.

ronv
01-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Not the food unless it is contaminated with something or spoiled. If the food has gotten wet at some point and has molded... Where did you get the tetras? Chain store neon's are notorious for being unhealthy. If you want some good ones, contact Pierre. I think I would do a big water change and add a little salt to the water.

brian313313
01-06-2017, 09:33 AM
The food should not be spoiled. The Danios & Tetras came from PetSmart. Guppies were born at home but no problems with them. Not much I can do now about the fish since I already have them. If they die, I'll take your advice and won't replace them with PetSmart. I don't normally buy there but my local LFS doesn't normally have these types of fish. Only the more exotics they can fetch more money for, which I understand since they need to make a profit to stay in business. I just wanted something basic & low-maintenance in my office for work.

aXio
01-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Agreed on all the points above. Very unlikely there is any issue with the food.

Contact Pierre for new fish or we also keep those fish in stock at my store at all times.

brian313313
01-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Hi Jakub. Your store is generally where I buy my freshwater fish. I didn't think you had these though. I know your Cichlids are top-notch which is what most of my FW tanks are.

Agreed on all the points above. Very unlikely there is any issue with the food.

Contact Pierre for new fish or we also keep those fish in stock at my store at all times.

aXio
01-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Hi Jakub. Your store is generally where I buy my freshwater fish. I didn't think you had these though. I know your Cichlids are top-notch which is what most of my FW tanks are.

Very odd. Even though we keep hard to find species we also do our best keep the "bread and butter" / Classic fish in-stock as well. I just went out on the floor to double check and we definitely have plenty of Neon Tetra and Zebra Danios in-stock right now. Not sure when you came in and noticed we didn't have any, but we were a bit low on stock for the end of the year as we hold off on ordering the last couple of weeks for taxes purposes.

Also if we ever don't have what you are looking for please let us know and we gladly order it in for you with no extra charge or pre-payment required. That way you get the quality of fish you are used to from us and you can deal with replacement/warranty through us if something does happen to the fish. I can get a hold of just about any fish in the industry through our massive network of suppliers, farms, and distributors.

brian313313
01-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Very odd. Even though we keep hard to find species we also do our best keep the "bread and butter" / Classic fish in-stock as well. I just went out on the floor to double check and we definitely have plenty of Neon Tetra and Zebra Danios in-stock right now. Not sure when you came in and noticed we didn't have any, but we were a bit low on stock for the end of the year as we hold off on ordering the last couple of weeks for taxes purposes.

Also if we ever don't have what you are looking for please let us know and we gladly order it in for you with no extra charge or pre-payment required. That way you get the quality of fish you are used to from us and you can deal with replacement/warranty through us if something does happen to the fish. I can get a hold of just about any fish in the industry through our massive network of suppliers, farms, and distributors.

What I meant was that I never checked with you because I didn't realize you carried them. You're not so close to me so don't normally just drop in unless I'm over that way.