PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer

ronv
01-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Could someone make a recommendation? 120 gal tank. Thanks.

York1
01-16-2017, 09:20 AM
I like the aquatop eliminator UV. Ive tried others and the aquatop seems to work as good if not better and isnt to expensive. I use the 18 watt on my 75 gallon tanks.With UV I always go with the biggest I can so on a 120 i would use the 36 watt uv

fishman
01-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Emperor Aquatics {owned by Pentair} and Aqua Ultraviolet are the BMW and Mercedes of UV sterilizers.Both companies specialize in water treatment only and the manufacturing of effective UV sterilizers made in their own plants here in the USA,unlike the others who just contract with a vendor in China and market a uv sterilizer as part of their overall line of products.The market is flooded with inexpensive,poorly made UV sterilizers currently hoping to grab marketshare from hobbyists who fall for low pricing and well written ad copy.Do some serious research and plan on a sizable investment if you want a truly effective,long lasting product that will do what it is suppose to do,and have a manufacturer willing to stand behind its products and offer parts/service long after most people throw their cheapie units in the trash.

ronv
01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Wow those Emperor Aquatic uv's are expensive. I don't think so.... I'm not even sure a uv will help my problem. But thanks and you too York1.

caricell
01-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Ron:

I use Jebo UV filters on two of my tanks and they work just as well as the more expensive models. I have an 18-watt on my 120 gal. and it keeps it crystal clear. I have it attached to an maxijet 1200 power head to run it...and it just works. Check it out on ebay...you can probably get it for well UNDER 75.00.

Larry

Wow those Emperor Aquatic uv's are expensive. I don't think so.... I'm not even sure a uv will help my problem. But thanks and you too York1.

ronv
01-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi Larry. I'm not really interested in "crystal clear". I'm wanting to do everything I can to rid my one remaining tank of the possible bacterial infection. I am not sure even the most expensive unit would do that. But thanks for your suggestion. I will look into Jebo.

caricell
01-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Sure thing, Ron. UV sterilizers, with the proper flow of water through them , will kill most if not all bacteria in the tank. Even the "good" bacteria. The so-called "better" ones (read:more expensive) use the same UV Bulbs as the "cheap" ones. Trick is: a) bulb wattage and flow speed of water which directly correlates to bacteria exposure time to the bulb.

Read up on it a bit. I think it would benefit you to get one, not only to kill off the bacteria, but as I said, help keep your tank looking clear. (Clears up green (milky) algae outbreaks in 1-3 days every time!

Larry

Hi Larry. I'm not really interested in "crystal clear". I'm wanting to do everything I can to rid my one remaining tank of the possible bacterial infection. I am not sure even the most expensive unit would do that. But thanks for your suggestion. I will look into Jebo.

ronv
01-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Obviously a uv will kill whatever bacteria is in the water column. Problem is, I don't know if Mycobacterium marina has a free swimming stage so I don't know if it is worth the expense. I would gladly pay even for a $300-$400 unit if I knew it would take care of my problem.