PDA

View Full Version : New here and new to sump type aquarium

Partsman41953
01-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Hi all,

I am new here and would like to say "hi" and ask you all for help on a 90 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump. I now have a 10 gallon and 28 gallon salt water aquariums but they just have HOB skimmers. I am putting together a 90 gallon aquarium that is going to house some soft and hard coral along with some fish and would like an honest opinion and not a LFS store looking to sell what they have on their shelves opinion on what protein skimmer to use and what type of light to go with. I have limited size with my skimmer as I purchased a short stand thinking that it would easier to clean and not thinking that I would need the space under the stand for the skimmer. I have around 19 to 20" under my stand.

Also, I would like a dawn to dusk light that comes on gradually and goes off gradually.

Another thing I need to know since I am new at this is running the hoses from the tank to the sump and back. Since I am using a regular 20 gallon tank for my sump how should I set that up as well.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but like I said I have no clue at all how to set this thing up. I am not looking at top of the line equipment but decent equipment as I am trying to stay on a budget. I am looking to spend around $250 to $300 on a skimmer and around $300 for a light.

Thanks

aXio
01-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Hi all,

I am new here and would like to say "hi" and ask you all for help on a 90 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump. I now have a 10 gallon and 28 gallon salt water aquariums but they just have HOB skimmers. I am putting together a 90 gallon aquarium that is going to house some soft and hard coral along with some fish and would like an honest opinion and not a LFS store looking to sell what they have on their shelves opinion on what protein skimmer to use and what type of light to go with. I have limited size with my skimmer as I purchased a short stand thinking that it would easier to clean and not thinking that I would need the space under the stand for the skimmer. I have around 19 to 20" under my stand.

Also, I would like a dawn to dusk light that comes on gradually and goes off gradually.

Another thing I need to know since I am new at this is running the hoses from the tank to the sump and back. Since I am using a regular 20 gallon tank for my sump how should I set that up as well.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but like I said I have no clue at all how to set this thing up. I am not looking at top of the line equipment but decent equipment as I am trying to stay on a budget. I am looking to spend around $250 to $300 on a skimmer and around $300 for a light.

Thanks

Well I was about to give you a nice long detailed answer to your post... but looks like you don't want my opinion =(

Tangfan
01-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Axio, who is the manager at Premier Aquatics, will give you honest and the most accurate information of most people on this board. He will mention what they have in stock, but also does give a much more in-depth answer than what most of us have, especially when it comes to Salt Water. Based on his past responses, he will even suggest possible other less expensive methods (or recommend against them if need be) and state sound reasoning behind the statements that he makes.

I will also say, I don't always follow what he suggests, but will go into what ever venture I am doing with open eyes and what I consider to be an experts opinion on the matter.

Now to answer you question, on the Skimmer, from what I have always seen and heard, the largest one you can afford (probably within reason) is what you should go with. Being oversized is a plus. I am only freshwater, so I am not sure if there are any ones that are higher tech then others, but from what I know, they mostly work on a venturi system that creates bubbles and floats the proteins out. On the plumbing, what I love, on a 20 gallon sump (what I would consider on the smaller size of volume for a tank this size, but I do use a similar sump on mine with good effect), you can either have your pump submerged, or on the outside of the sump connected via bulkhead fitting. This is typically dictated by the sump itself. Benefits is an outside pump doesn't take up volume of the sump, but can leak. Most people will use the return pump to plumb in the skimmer (teeing off the pipe and controlling flow via valves). 2 pumps can be utilized (more control, more energy). Skimmer location can be either in or out of the sump. similar to the pump, you gain extra volume by having it on the outside, but you can also have leaks.

On the light, I am not even going to begin. To many options and I do not have enough experience with corals.

Hope this helps.