PDA

View Full Version : I need seasoned filter media...

ronv
02-02-2017, 07:49 AM
I am ready to start rebuilding after my disaster. I have six 20L tanks ready for new residents. I am planning to be a buyer at the mini auction Saturday. However I am facing the prospect of having to "cycle" these new tanks (for the first time in years). I would really appreciate some seasoned media. Each tank will have two box filters. I can bring some new filter media to replace what I get from you. Thanks in advance.

gofish
02-02-2017, 10:01 AM
You might also want to consider seasoning the tanks with bottled dormant bacteria like Stability or Biozyme. That's what I do for all my new tanks. It help me avoid cross contamination at least initially. I find it works quite well at almost instantly cycling a tank.

ronv
02-02-2017, 10:11 AM
I had rather do it naturally Brian, but thanks for the tip.

smitty
02-02-2017, 06:06 PM
I've normally got scrubber sponges in my filters so I can always start up quick if needed. I just last weekend used all my ones from the HOB's but I will pull the canisters tomorrow after work and see if I have some in them.

smitty
02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I went ahead and checked while I was thinking about it and didn't have any scrubbers in there but did need to replace a filter pad in the 304 so I pulled one out, you can have it. I can bring Saturday or you can pick up tomorrow, I work from home on Fridays.

Dasher
02-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Ron - do you want used filters? I don't have any 20 gallon tanks running right now, the smallest I have is a 55. Would that still help? I'm more than happy to change out my filters and bring you the old filters Saturday if they will work for you. What about gravel? A scoop of gravel good too?

Dan

Pierre
02-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Hello Ron,

I can give some filler floss that I am using. However, I will not be able to come tomorrow as I have ToastMasters training. I can leave it on my porch, downtown Decatur. TXT me at 770-335-seven84O if you want me to do that.

Cheers,

Pierre

ronv
02-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Thanks smitty. Bring it to the meeting please and you too Dan. Whatever you can bring. Pierre, I'll pass on coming by your house, but thanks for the offer.

aquariumbeauty
05-05-2017, 11:07 PM
I had rather do it naturally Brian, but thanks for the tip.