PDA

View Full Version : Reseal

pawslover
03-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm about to try resealing a tank for the first time. Any tips? It's a 125.

BobMajor
03-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Make sure the silicone says safe for aquariums---Bathroom silicone has anti mold ingredients that are poisonous to fish

fishman
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Watch plenty of youtube videos on the subject.

ronv
03-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Make sure you get all the old silicon off. New silicone does not stick well to old silicone. A 125 is a tough place to start. I have resealed many aquariums in the 20-55 range but have not had much success with larger. Just be careful and take your time. Good luck.

aXio
03-13-2017, 09:38 AM
I honestly strongly recommend against ever resealing your own aquarium. Especially one of that size. The $200-600 you might save on a new aquarium is not any where near worth the damages it may cause to your home if that aquarium were to bust. Most home owners or renters insurance does not cover water damage from aquariums.

So please take your time and make the right decision. If the aquarium was a 55 gallon or smaller I would say go for it. But anything larger then that you step up in glass thickness and it becomes much hard. Also I can not tell you how many emergencies we go on for resealed aquariums busting... while we make a lot of money for a emergency service like that, I would not wish that mess on anyone. The tank can hold for a year or two... then randomly the seals may let go one day.

Also on large aquariums you do not want to use basic GE Silicone #1 most people use to reseal smaller aquariums. The bond will much too weak for larger aquariums and glass thickness. You will want ot us RTV rated Silicone for thicker glass like that.

Also keep in mind that if you do get a new aquarium, you get life time warranty from all the major manufacturers like Aqueon and Perfecto on the seals/silicone. So if god forbid the new tank busts on you, the manufacturer covers any damages to your home, aquariums, etc.

pawslover
03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Have dealt with leaks in a few smaller tanks, the thought of this one leaking is a bit panic inducing since it is in the main part of the house. I'm open to selling to it as a reptile habitat but will admit that part of the issue with a new one is aesthetics. Seems like all new tanks are blank & I do love the old school wood trim & would love an Oak trim one to keep it matching the stand & other furniture. Is it possible to get anything other than black trim now?

smitty
03-14-2017, 02:32 PM
AGA/aquean still sells oak trim 125's. I'd be interested in a busted 125 on the cheap ;)

pawslover
03-14-2017, 03:11 PM
AGA/aquean still sells oak trim 125's. I'd be interested in a busted 125 on the cheap ;)

Thanks for the info. Will try to track one down!

Make me an offer, worst I can say is No :-)

aXio
03-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Remember that you can easily get the stand/canopy to cover the black trim. Most of the nicer aquarium furniture will cover the trim anyway.

As an example...
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/axiomatica/Classic_zpsirn4oemp.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/axiomatica/media/Classic_zpsirn4oemp.jpg.html)

pawslover
03-14-2017, 10:31 PM
I do already have a stand but it doesn't enclose the bottom & did not come with a canopy so I'd be stuck starting from scratch.