PDA

View Full Version : IBC Eastern Convention in Atlanta?

Hawker
03-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Looks like the Eastern Betta Society Show is in Newnan on April 7. I haven't seen it mentioned here, just wondering if anyone is planning to go.
I've never been to a Betta Show, so just may have to stop by. I presume I'll see some very nice fish.

https://www.ibcbettas.org/show/eastern-betta-society-2/

aXio
03-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Never heard of that show... they definitely could do a better job getting the word out

HN1
03-12-2017, 04:46 PM
I hadn't heard a thing about it until now. I'm not a huge betta fan, but may try to make it down there. The actual show is on the 8th. Thanks for posting this!

Mog Carns
03-13-2017, 08:34 AM

I drive by that hotel every day.
I work in Newnan.
I live 12 miles away.
I have not heard the first thing about it.

ronv
03-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Do they do wild bettas or just Splendens?

aXio
03-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Do they do wild bettas or just Splendens?

Great question! If they have wild types I'm so there!!!

Wanting to get Betta Channoides/Macrostoma

heatherbeast
03-13-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't see anything specific about the show, but the club does discuss non-splendens species.

https://www.ibcbettas.org/about-betta-splendens/wild-bettas/

BobMajor
03-13-2017, 12:00 PM
wild betas are the red headed step child in most beta clubs I have a friend that sends wild betas to these shows across the country and always wins best of the wild beta category because his is the only enty

Mog Carns
03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
https://www.facebook.com/EasternBettaSociety/

Tropical
03-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Huh that is strange and it's not been advertised anywhere. Just sent them an email about more information on this event.

HN1
03-13-2017, 07:01 PM
https://www.facebook.com/EasternBettaSociety/

Weird that their last post is over a month ago with an event coming up. Maybe I won't chance driving down there....

dgamadanis
03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
I went on website and found info for show. It is April 8 at Hmpton Inn in Newnan, ga

smitty
03-14-2017, 06:52 AM
ibcbettas.org/show/eastern-betta-society-2/

Seems legit just not well organized. The link to the ibc isn't very mobile friendly.

House_of_Betta
03-22-2017, 12:33 AM
HI,

I have tried to post about this in the general forum, but my post has not been approved. The show is on April 8 at the Hampton Inn in Newnan. I am Co-Chairing the show with the Chapter president, who is coming down from Virginia. We also have people coming up from the First Coast Bettas of Florida Chapter. The show is open to the public. There will be an auction after the judging and show results are in. Please contact me of you need information. You do not have to be an IBC member to enter the show or volunteer. There is even a class for purchased fish. You can contact me directly at hmburkle@gmail.com. Here are the show flyers.

5271 5272

House_of_Betta
03-22-2017, 12:37 AM
Please chance it!

heatherbeast
03-22-2017, 02:34 AM
They're alive! Awesome, thank you for posting, Heidi.

Mog Carns
03-22-2017, 08:18 AM
I plan on dropping by.

If you are looking for food before the show opens to the public at noon, may I suggest Culver's?

311 Newnan Crossing Bypass, Newnan, GA 30265
https://www.culvers.com/restaurants/newnan-ga-newnan-crossing-byp
https://www.yelp.com/biz/culvers-newnan

Fast Food wise, it is currently the best in the city.

The flavor of the day that day is:
CRAZY FOR COOKIE DOUGHOur creamy Vanilla and Chocolate Fresh Frozen Custard swirled together and mixed with thick fudge, ribbons of old fashioned salted caramel and cookie dough pieces.

Hawker
03-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Is this show for Betta Splendens only?

House_of_Betta
03-28-2017, 12:30 AM
The show is for all species of Betta, though the majority sent in will probably be Betta Splendens, in the various tail types/body shapes, colors and patterns recognized by the IBC in North America. There are classes for wild species, and classes for purchased Betta, if you have a really nice find you want to show off. The show standards are on the IBC's website: https://www.ibcbettas.org/ . IBC membership is not required to participate. I just got done inventorying the donations sent in by Cobalt, ZooMed, Hagen & Aqueon. We should have some very nice door prizes and raffle items. I am putting up a Breeder's Cup Pair. I am pretty sure Karen MacAuley & Siegbert Illig will Breeder's Cup pairs. Jackie Hutcherson has some nice Betta Splendens Plakats she is bringing. So do I. So, there are good reasons stop by. I am also trying to add to my wild species. My Betta Albimarginata juveniles are too young to compete. I am trying to get my adults to spawn again. They are not cooperating, yet. I just bought a pair of Betta Balunga from Ravenwater_19 on Aquabid. They can co-habitate with the Betta Albimarginata. They will be here next month. It will be great to see you guys.

Daculadude
04-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Thinking of dropping by just to gawk at the cool fish. I haven't kept any bettas for some time. What kind of priced would you expect to see at the auction?

smitty
04-06-2017, 05:18 PM
That's a good question! I have a rescue betta and always wondered what it'd be worth

Daculadude
04-08-2017, 11:10 PM
It was a great show.

Hawker
04-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Larger than I expected with some crazy good looking fish. Thanks for the effort folks.

Mog Carns
04-10-2017, 11:39 AM
I was extremely disappointed.

Small venue, tightly packed with 25 people. Single hotel room with the beds/bathroom removed. The room was uncomfortably warm. Bettas were probably comfortable, which was likely the point... but...
Auction table in the front, small table with 20 or so for sale bettas in the back, three rows of bettas for the show on one table and the back wall.

By wild type, they mean "plakat" short fin splendens.

I think. I couldn't really tell.

Some jackass barked at Ian when he tried to go down the alley between the 2nd and 3rd rows (2/3rds of the fish) about "how about we let them finish judging", extremely rude tone.
It was 2:45 in the afternoon. Judging was supposed to happen at 10AM, before the public was allowed in at 12. I do not know why they were running late, and I do not care.
We left, about 10 minutes after we arrived.
The whole organization can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

He was upset he could not get to see the fish, so I took him to PetSmart next door.

Hawker
04-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Small venue, tightly packed with 25 people. Single hotel room with the beds/bathroom removed. The room was uncomfortably warm. Bettas were probably comfortable, which was likely the point... but...
Auction table in the front, small table with 20 or so for sale bettas in the back, three rows of bettas for the show on one table and the back wall.

Some jackass barked at Ian when he tried to go down the alley between the 2nd and 3rd rows (2/3rds of the fish) about "how about we let them finish judging", extremely rude tone.
It was 2:45 in the afternoon. Judging was supposed to happen at 10AM, before the public was allowed in at 12. I do not know why they were running late, and I do not care.

He was upset he could not get to see the fish, so I took him to PetSmart next door.

I was there and yes things were running late, they were aware of it but they just didn't have enough help. A first time event and they mis-judged a bit.
And yes there were several kinds of wild Bettas over against the outside wall, most probably you didn't have a chance to see them in your rush to leave after 10 minutes. Wow!

House_of_Betta
04-11-2017, 01:35 PM
I am so sorry we disappointed you Mog. We were only expecting 150 fish and we got 260. All of our calls for volunteers netted 2 people. Because of the large numbers, the two judges had to subdivide classes, move fish and change their class numbers, We only had two volunteer judges who are retired teachers in their 70's that came in from Florida to help us. Unfortunately, they were still judging the back side of the display when you got "barked" at. This is why the auction started late. Again, I apologize. There were many unforeseen complications, including the water set up. We bailed all our water by hand with critter keepers into the two large garbage cane we had on rollers.

I was very disappointed with the hotel. This was their regular meeting room with projector technology installed. When we came Friday night, they had not finished cleaning the tables from their last meeting. We were there until midnight and back at 7:30 A.M. I asked for more tables and got nowhere. We brought 3 of our own tables and the display for the Giant Betta Splendens. We had never used those display stands before. They were given to us by a defunct chapter.
Yes, the room was warmed for the fish. That is standard practice at all Betta shows. We do want the fish to flare and deport properly. Yes, We did not have a lot of wilds. But, there were Betta Smaragdina, Betta Patoti, and Betta Unimaculata. I have to ask why nobody here is breeding wild Betta, or entered the show? My albimarginata babies were to young for this show. I have another albimarginata male holding now, and a pair of Betta Balunga coming mid-month. The next show is in Gainesville, Florida on April 22.

For those who were kind and patient with our lack of help and my first time co-chairing a show, it was a huge success. The auction was so much fun. There were many large items raffled off that were not Betta related, as we had donations from Zoomed, Hagen, Aqueon, Cobalt, Doctors Fosters and Smith, etc. There were power filters, light hoods, Cichlid food and other really nice stuff in the $5.00 raffle. The breeder's cup pairs were gorgeous. Many people decided to pitch in and help us. I appreciated that so much. Maybe next year we can have a better venue and more staffing, but if you do not want to come, that is your right.

I know you "don't care". that I have been almost a week straight on less than 4 hours of sleep a night, if any at all, and was up all night Sunday finishing the packing and labeling of the return fish boxes. I know you do not give a damn what this Betta hobby and show mean to my adult son, who is on disability due to his autism (He was there working his butt off). It wasn't about a non-profit, all volunteer, aquarium club, (whose president is an unemployed young lady that drove down from Virginia, and enlisted her entire family to help) trying to do something exciting for the local community. That is because it was all about YOU. I am glad you are not representative of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association. Andrew and I cannot even benefit from the association because the meetings are too far away for us. So, our membership dues are a donation, and a way to communicate with fellow fish enthusiasts. I am disappointed, too.

Hawker and Daculadude, thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

Heidi

Daculadude
04-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Wow.

Was it perfect? No.

The room was a little tight. Warm, but not oppressive heat. This is Georgia after all and the fish were not in heated tanks.

Could the auction be smoother? Sure, even the Barrett's car auction has snags and they are all paid pros.

Everyone else seemed to be cooperating and encouraged this newb. I won 2 betta condos in the raffle and bought four fish total with a plant from Heidi on the side.

Most of those who seemed experienced at this sort of event seemed happy with the judging and the sale.

Would I go again? In a heartbeat!

Would I attend regular Betta club meetings? Probably not, but happy to learn from other Betta keepers here or on a separate FB group.

Most seemed to enjoy the afternoon. I hope one unhappy person doesn't discourage the organizers from a repeat.

Mog Carns
04-17-2017, 08:47 AM
I think you misunderstand... here and in private messages.

I included venue information as mitigating factors on your behalf, ie, a little cramped and a little warm.

No one barked at ME. Notice I said he barked at Ian.
Ian is my 6 year old, who is well behaved and comes to many "fish" events with me.
He was neither rambunctious, nor did he run into something, nor tap on a tank.
Your judge barked at my 6 year old, for the crime of wanting to see 2/3rds of the fish at your show.
He was upset, as he thought he had done something wrong.

I did not send your judge through the plate glass window.
I did not get into a verbal altercation with your judge.
I elected to leave instead.

However, I am unlikely to feel positive toward your organization at any point in the near future.

House_of_Betta
04-24-2017, 06:16 AM
I apologize Jeremy. I had no idea that Ian was a 6 year old child. I was not even sure of your gender. Your response makes a bit more sense, now. I can't control the actions of the judge in question. I can only control my own. My response was based on my understanding of your post. Forgive me. Heidi

Mog Carns
04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
I too apologize. No lasting harm was done, so it is silly to hold a grudge. To be honest, I likely over-reacted.

I am not sure what it cost you to rent the "conference room" at the Hampton Inn, but I hope that the accommodations did not scare you aware from the city of Newnan forever.

You would likely find that the Fairgrounds has an excellent conference center that was very reasonable when last I checked... if you are open to suggestions.
http://www.coweta.ga.us/Index.aspx?page=1500

It is one exit further away from Atlanta. I have not found anything close to reasonable as you get closer to the airport.