PDA

View Full Version : History of fish keeping, interesting article!

Tropical
03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Found this and thought I'd share! www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rv/feature/

Brittney Rau
03-14-2017, 01:14 AM
Thanks for posting. I found it quite interesting as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canoe
03-14-2017, 06:34 AM
The appearance of an old-school Metaframe aquarium at the last monthly meeting has some club members getting nostalgic about their earliest experiences in the hobby. There was one statement in the article that I found extremely amusing: "A small Bunsen burner under the slate bottom provided heating ..." Can you imagine trying to regulate water temperature this way? Thank goodness for the inventors and engineers who brought us variable temperature electric heaters.

Here's another bit of aquarium history: an old Metaframe advertisement:

https://books.google.com/books?id=GFYEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA94&dq=metaframe&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q=metaframe&f=true

Tropical
03-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I've also heard of candles being used as well, pretty funny. I'd be concerned about an open flame...

Haha, I need one of those filters! "You'll never, never have to change the water!"

The dozen tropical fish sound interesting as well, I wonder what'd you'd get!

Igster
03-14-2017, 10:32 AM
I remember having an old slate-bottom Metaframe tank...20 long. I actually used tar to seal it up! I had a big can of the stuff around, would melt it over a fire. Had it to seal up refrigerator liners, which I used as 50-75-gallon outdoor breeding containers under my avocado/mango trees while living in Puerto Rico... only drawbacks were the flower buds that fell into the water (solved by putting some netting over the top) and the occasional neighbor's cow that wandered into the yard and would drink the thing almost dry in the blink of an eye...