PDA

View Full Version : New 75 gallon

Ckwatson
03-13-2017, 11:18 PM
I will be starting a 75 gallon planted tank soon. I plan on this being a heavily planted tank. I have an Eheim classic 350 that I will probably use. Unless that would not be suitable for this size tank. What I'm not sure about is lighting. Can't decide between T5HO or LED. Not sure how much of each I would need. If I did T5s I would probably go with a retro fit kit. Would 2 54W bulbs be enough for a tank this size? How much LED light would I need to keep plants growing.

Shooting for medium light levels, I don't think I want any plants that require high light levels.

Thank

Tangfan
03-14-2017, 12:15 PM
I will be starting a 75 gallon planted tank soon. I plan on this being a heavily planted tank. I have an Eheim classic 350 that I will probably use. Unless that would not be suitable for this size tank. What I'm not sure about is lighting. Can't decide between T5HO or LED. Not sure how much of each I would need. If I did T5s I would probably go with a retro fit kit. Would 2 54W bulbs be enough for a tank this size? How much LED light would I need to keep plants growing.

Shooting for medium light levels, I don't think I want any plants that require high light levels.

Thank

I have experimented with various lights over various tanks in the last 2 years. I still prefer T5HO lights over LEDs, this might be due to my selection of LED lights though. I have found that the quad T5 fixtures off significantly more light, so whether you go with a 2 bulb T5 or a quad fixture (or even an LED), would be very dependent on what plants you want to keep. If you just wanted to do low to medium light plants, then a dual fixture should be fine. High light plants would require additional bulbs.

This is just my 2 cents. I know there are others on here who have much more experience then I do with plants and the lights they prefer.

smitty
03-14-2017, 01:28 PM
I prefer T5 because I know what I am getting. I've got LED's that are similarly advertised but are worlds apart in output.

Ckwatson
03-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have used T5 lighting before and liked it, had good luck growing freshwater plants and coral in a salt water set up. I must say though LEDs do intreg me. I like not having to worry about changing bulbs and I have also heard that you get a shimmer with LEDs

Tangfan can you tell me what LEDs you tried and did not like?

Tangfan
03-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have used T5 lighting before and liked it, had good luck growing freshwater plants and coral in a salt water set up. I must say though LEDs do intreg me. I like not having to worry about changing bulbs and I have also heard that you get a shimmer with LEDs

Tangfan can you tell me what LEDs you tried and did not like?

lets start with the one I like he best. Sold on eBay as LED PENT. Has the most lumens of any of the lights I've tried and seems to grow algae the best (don't have plants in that tank). It is unique in that it has 5bulbs across.

Ive also used many beamworks LEDs that have less lumens and are sold as plant lights. Very little growth of plants with these.

I also have a knockoff of a Finnex 24/7. Has the same specs as the Finnex (have heard a lot of people who like the Finnex I should mention) but the knock off appears to be in line with the standard Beam Works lights.

Al the lights I have work for low light plants, but most struggle with medium light plants.

Hope me this helps

Ckwatson
03-16-2017, 07:04 AM
I found a good deal on a 48" current satellite freshwater LED PLUS. I am going to start with that and see how it does. It is small enough that if it does not look like it is putting out enough light I could supplement with one or two retro fit T5HO bulbs, I could use something like a Ultra Sun or Plant Grow. I should be picking up my tank this weekend. I will post some pictures of the build as it progresses.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Ckwatson
03-29-2017, 05:53 AM
I have stared a build thread here.

http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php/12502-75-Gallon-planted-build?p=73727#post73727

Ckwatson
04-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been busy and traveling some. I still have some work to do on the stand and canopy. I did have some time this weekend to visit Premier Aquatics. They had some really nice pieces of drift wood, I picked up a few pieces and one piece of rock. I think it's gonna make a good looking aquascape.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/smyheights/IMG_1206_zpsccm3lffk.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/user/smyheights/media/IMG_1206_zpsccm3lffk.jpg.html)

aXio
04-10-2017, 08:11 AM
I LOVE that new Talawa wood. I order myself an extra 100lbs of it just for my fish room projects!

Ckwatson
04-10-2017, 10:40 PM
AXio, I am really happy with it. I had never seen it before I came into the store.