PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of breeding

pullins125
03-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Im thibking about getting into breeding but have a few questions. Most people set up sponge filters then run all tanks together. Whats best way of heating multiple tanks??? Im planning on building a shelving unit and have 4 tens and 4 twenties.

Larry Bugg
03-14-2017, 06:16 PM
I think you are wrong in your assumption that all people run the tanks as a system. Each of my tanks are completely individual. Most of the local breeders and a lot of the out of state breeders I know also run individual systems. I keep my water warmer (82) since I breed discus, angels and rams. I am heating the fish house to around 78 and then have individual heaters in each tank and each is on a controller.

pullins125
03-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Ok. So most do tanks with indiviually heaters? I woukld figure thatd run alot extra energy. Ok. That helps. Thanks for the reply. Would u run smaller tanks same way?

Larry Bugg
03-14-2017, 08:19 PM
1000 gallon tank vs ten 100 gallon tanks. Both are at 70 degrees and you want them at 76. Does it take more energy to heat one vs the other. I don't think there is a difference. If you are trying to be efficient then the best method is to heat the room. If I was keeping fish in 76 degrees then my room temp would be all I needed. But since I keep fish at 82 and find that too warm for my personal needs then I supplement with individual heaters.

pullins125
03-14-2017, 10:25 PM
True. Ive never kept fish below 80 bc scared of ick. Ill probably get individual heaters. I respect ur opinion so ill probably follow on ur footsteps

Demonfish
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Instead of connecting all the tank together, the best set ups I've seen have individual clean water pipes and overflows over and in each tank. The clean water comes from one place, the old water drains to one place, but the fish in each tank never share water with neighboring tanks. If you do want a commercial shared water system, they show up used from time to time on ebay and craigslist when another store closes. I still have sponge filters and manual water changes (I do have a siphon with a pump), but if I were starting over, I'd plumb in "turn a valve" water changes. I do have one big air-pump instead of lots of little ones.

smitty
03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
I saw a setup like demonfish described on a video tour of wholesaler segrest farms. It was very cool and looked effective. I'd like to see a scaled down version in operation.

HN1
03-16-2017, 05:38 PM
I believe Larry's set up was / is as described and is the best system I've seen. For smaller applications, sponges running off a common air pump generally suffices. As far as the commercial store systems go... if anyone wants one cheap, let me know! lol

Tangfan
03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
You can also look at a video of South East Cichlids set up in Athens (or arrange a visit with Butch). He has a system similar to what Demonfish describes as well. Granted, he does have 4 racks of tanks, but each rack is individually plumbed. Water is not shared, but clean water is from a single source that he treats prior to use.

Larry Bugg
03-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Quick video of my new plumbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1TiHq0KakE&feature=youtu.be

gofish
03-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Tangfan
03-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Very nice video Larry.

smitty
03-16-2017, 08:40 PM
That's a great set up, that air pump is surprisingly quiet

HN1
03-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Very nice setup Larry! Are those the same totes you had in the basement up here?

Larry Bugg
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
I was amazed at how quite it is!! As I quite often do, I called Jehmco to discuss my needs. As usual, they will spend quite a bit of time with you helping with needs and decisions. My primary goal was to get a pump that was quieter than my blower. What I found out was not only would the new pump be considerably quieter than the blower but as a bonus it was also considerable more efficient and cheaper to operate.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/lph80.html

Tropical
03-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Great video, wow what a cool setup! Water changes look really easy for you!

I'd love to see how you installed those temperature displays/thermometers in a future video...

cswain123
03-16-2017, 10:30 PM
I enjoyed the video! Looking forward to more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Larry Bugg
03-17-2017, 06:39 AM
Great video, wow what a cool setup! Water changes look really easy for you!

I'd love to see how you installed those temperature displays/thermometers in a future video...

Here is a thread detailing the controller.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117110-20-00-Controller-how-to-wiring-(easy)

Larry Bugg
03-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Very nice setup Larry! Are those the same totes you had in the basement up here?

Thanks Len, yes those are the same totes. I staked one on top of the other in the basement. Don't have the height to do that here.

Tropical
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Here is a thread detailing the controller.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117110-20-00-Controller-how-to-wiring-(easy)

Sweet, thanks for the link!