PDA

View Full Version : Breeding German Blue Rams tips

jaydenh636
03-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone, I have a pair of GBRs and they now have laid eggs 3 times but the fry never make it out of the wiggler stage. Just looking for some tips and tricks to keeping the fry alive and growing. Thanks!

Tropical
03-15-2017, 07:09 PM
With Rams you have to steal the eggs, as they are not good parents... I usually take whatever they lay on and place it in a Dip and pour with a drip of MB and an air stone.

Then feed live Baby Brine Shrimp as a first food...

Larry Bugg
03-15-2017, 08:00 PM
I like using a 4" terra cotta saucer for them to lay on. Simply turn it upside down on the bottom of the tank. I have found that if one of these are in the tank they will almost always choose it to lay on. Are they in a tank by themselves? I keep pairs in 20 gallon tanks (10 would work also) and pull the parents from the tank when they spawn. As Tropical said they make terrible parents and will usually eat the fry by the time they reach 2 or 3 days free swimming. If you don't have the tank space then simply pull the saucer with eggs from the tank and place them in a container. Even something as small as a plastic shoe box will do. I like to add a little java moss to the container. Other floating plants would do also. They will readily take bbs after they have started free swimming. With a small container you will need to do frequent water changes.

Tropfishdude
03-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Do you use bare bottom tanks or ?

Tropical
03-15-2017, 11:05 PM
They don't care, I've done it both ways...

jaydenh636
03-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks Larry and Sam, I will pull the eggs or the parents. They are in a 20 high by themselves and they really like this flat Rock I have in there. Laid on it all 3 times. Thanks for the tips, time to get a small tank for the eggs/fry!

Larry Bugg
03-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Thanks Larry and Sam, I will pull the eggs or the parents. They are in a 20 high by themselves and they really like this flat Rock I have in there. Laid on it all 3 times. Thanks for the tips, time to get a small tank for the eggs/fry!

Is the rock one that you can pull out? Works just as good as my saucer. GBR breed on hard flat surfaces. In a planted tank that doesn't have one they will dig a hole in the substrate trying to find a hard flat surface.

Igster
03-16-2017, 07:50 PM
I had one pair that would spawn right on the gravel in a densely planted tank...

Demonfish
03-16-2017, 11:24 PM
You can try leaving the lights on. Sometimes substrate-spawners will eat the eggs or wigglers in the dark. It works for some pairs, not others.

Larry Bugg
03-17-2017, 07:43 AM
I have always had a room light on 24/7 in my fish rooms but it never did any good with rams.

smitty
03-17-2017, 08:21 AM
My rams were midnight snackers too. The second time they did it, the male killed the female the next day while I was at work.

OldeFishLady
03-21-2017, 03:50 PM
thanks guys!! Two of my bolivians decided to pair off (4 rams in tank...one blue, 3 bol..) and laid eggs in my 20 g with 7 danios and Plato (my pleco) , and YES..a couple nerites....also present. Laid on slate. GONE next day.
Maybe, if hubbie allows (LOL) I can try the "steal them" method and raise them my durn self.....