PDA

View Full Version : Sick betta

Stacyod
03-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Thursday morning my had a swollen belly, his color is duller and he rests on the bottom of the tank, not his usual way on his fins but actually resting on the bottom. His fins don't stand out from his body. His fins are sometimes clamped.

The covered 3 gallon tank has two amano shrimp, a red cherry shrimp and a couple of neon tetras. Every other fish and invertebrate is still healthy. It is a planted tank with java moss, a large crypticorn and an Anubis. They have all lived happily together since July. I change the water every day so that 1/3 is changed by the end of the week. I check water quality weekly. Nothing is off in water quality. I have fed the same foods in the same amounts since July.

i did not feed the betta for three days hoping that whatever was causing the bloat would pass. Saturday night I offered a pellet. He swam up from the bottom and investigated but didn't eat the pellet.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my betta and how to help him? Any help would be appreciated.

Stacy

Demonfish
03-20-2017, 01:10 AM
Looking at food without eating sounds like a stomach issue. He ate too much, or got a piece of substrate stuck in his throat, or has a parasite or injury irritating him. You can try soaking pellets in garlic juice. Garlic stimulates appetite and bothers parasites. Most importantly, don't panic, it takes a fish months to starve.

I would increase the water changes and check for any changes like a drop in temp or aeration.

Demonfish
03-20-2017, 01:16 AM
Treating a fish that won't eat is hard, once you tempt him to eat you can try food soaked in metronidazole or epsom salts. (see thread "are they sick")