PDA

View Full Version : HAP

Roger
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
How many HAPpy points do you get for hair algae? Is hair algae the same plant as floating pond scum?

kwseiders
11-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Honestly, at this point there is still some argument in the taxonomic community as to whether algae (either some or all) are even part of the plant kingdom. And then you have the definition of horticulture itself, "The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants (see how it completely ignores algae, unless of course that would be considered an "ornamental" plant). So, please be assured that, as the illustrious leader and mental...er...I mean...Mentor, of the HAP program, I am industriously working on determinations of whether alga should be included in the aquatic plants list, and how the points should be determined, based of course on the difficulty of growing specific kinds of algae. In the meanwhile, please continue to grow your algae, and try to propagate different kinds, so that when the final determination is made, we will be astounded by your great horticultural skills. Also, please keep extensive records on the care and feeding of algae, so others will be able to benefit from your experiences. Who knows, one day algae may rule the world!

Roger
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Hmmm .... does that mean no points. Oh, and I'm only interested in hair algae as it seems most of the fish auctioned are supposed to eat it. If it is not a plant does it count as live fish food?

kwseiders
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Now that's an idea. Since we can get BAP points for raising cherry shrimp (fish food) maybe you should be able to get BAP points for raising hair algae (not plant, but still fish food). I guess you will have to ask the BAP person, as I don't want to overstep my bounds and make these decisions for them.

FSM
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I thought this was a joke

I must have siphoned about 30 points worth of cyanobacteria out of my 75 yesterday

kwseiders
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I must have siphoned about 30 points worth of cyanobacteria out of my 75 yesterday
Aw man, that is terrible! Cyanobacteria isn't a plant or an animal, it would probably have been eligible for double points, both BAP and HAP, since no one could prove whether it qualified for either or neither. It grows like a plant, but eats like an animal. It's a planimal. Obviously we need to start a PAP, Planimal Award Points, program.

However, since this stuff is so slimy, I feel this opportunity may slip away!

FSM
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
the back wall of the tank looked like camouflage for a while with all the green and brown (diatoms)

Roger
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Will the PAP program include points for other bacteria, parasites and viruses. Will you be the lead on this Ken.

Roger
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh I forgot fungus or is it fungi