PDA

View Full Version : clearing cloudy water

g libby
04-11-2017, 11:03 AM
I wanted to use some branches in a tank but was impatient and did not soak them long enough. After putting them in a tank the water became milky. I tried changing water but over a week now and still cloudy. I was using a sponge filter and added a Whisper filter so I could use carbon. That did not clear the water but produced thousands of tiny bubbles that do not break and I can net the bubbles out and they take time to break in the sink. I am thinking that I am developing a protein film on the water but I do not see any oily film. Can anyone tell me what might be causing the milky color and how to clear it. As a side it doesn't seem to be affecting the fish in the tank, when I can see their shadows in front.

smitty
04-11-2017, 11:34 AM
What kind of branches and from where? What size tank and what are you stocking? When did you last change water and how much did you replace?

heatherbeast
04-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Mold, gross but not harmful. This happened to me several years ago when I put in some wood from the Chattahoochee into my tank (I was impatient, and the piece was too large to be easily boiled). Pull the carbon, it's just feeding the mold. I'd do 50% water changes weekly til it goes away.

g libby
04-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Mold, gross but not harmful. This happened to me several years ago when I put in some wood from the Chattahoochee into my tank (I was impatient, and the piece was too large to be easily boiled). Pull the carbon, it's just feeding the mold. I'd do 50% water changes weekly til it goes away.

Thank you. I used the same word- Impatient. Still not encouraging. I would think there should be some way to participate out any compound from the water. I normally do 20 to 30% weekly and I have upped that to every other day and still the milky water persists. I'm sure that by pulling the Whisper filter I will stop the bubbles and I have not seen any film and will try that. Just don't like it when you say "weekly til it goes away". I'm still impatient and would like to see it clear overnight.

smitty
04-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Try filling the whisper with padding/floss. I'd go 80% wc if you can age the new water volume and warm it. Could try to use purigen in the whisper or clarity but doubt it would work better than the wc itself. Check for any holes cracks leaks on the whisper to stop microbubbles. Probably on intake. Could try to remove and give a medicated dip to the wood for a couple hours. I've had manzanita throw a mold and time took care of it. 3 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dgamadanis
04-11-2017, 11:18 PM
I use a Magic clear a product sold in pet stores. It works very well for me and is safe to use.

g libby
04-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Try filling the whisper with padding/floss. I'd go 80% wc if you can age the new water volume and warm it. Could try to use purigen in the whisper or clarity but doubt it would work better than the wc itself. Check for any holes cracks leaks on the whisper to stop microbubbles. Probably on intake. Could try to remove and give a medicated dip to the wood for a couple hours. I've had manzanita throw a mold and time took care of it. 3 weeks.

I hate your answer. I need instant gratification and you tell me 3 weeks.

g libby
04-12-2017, 11:17 AM
I use a Magic clear a product sold in pet stores. It works very well for me and is safe to use.

Never saw this. Never heard of it. I will have to look it up.

smitty
04-12-2017, 11:27 AM
I hate your answer. I need instant gratification and you tell me 3 weeks.
You could get fast with forma green, but it will force the sponge to cycle and stain everything green for a while. Might be able to isolate wood in a erythro bath

g libby
04-12-2017, 12:11 PM
As usual I looked up the question after I ran into the problem. I was trying to understand my cloudy water. The reason now seems simple- A bacteria bloom. That would be caused by overfeeding, or something died, or just not boiling the branches. Compound that with pulling some water sprite that had covered the surface so I had nothing to pull out the nitrates. Now I was left with additional protein in the tank which gave me the foam on the surface. It seems the best advise was to just do water changes. Since the water doesn't appear to be bothering my fish, (a pair of wild bettas spawned) and the water may be clearing while starting to show the tea color from tannins I am leaving things as they are.