PDA

View Full Version : Summer tubbing

likestofish
04-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Does it get to hot to keep CPDs outside in a tub here? Thinking about doing some more tubs this summer and trying to think of what fish to use.

Tropical
04-14-2017, 11:30 AM
I've thought about doing tubs as well, but temperature has always stopped me...

From what I've read you want a big, and deep tub, and bury it at least 6 inches in the ground and it won't get as hot.

smitty
04-14-2017, 12:53 PM
I've tubbed fish here, not cpds though. LR Bretz keeps his cpds at high temps for breeding, it may be just fine. I wouldn't anticipate it getting too hot for them and the sunlight would probably make them happy. With some blyxa and dwl for shade and security they'd probably be just fine

likestofish
04-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Would putting them under a deck to keep them a bit more shaded be an issue? The deck is made of untreated cedar and pressure treated crossbeams. Just worried about rain running off of the deck and contaminating the tubs.

smitty
04-14-2017, 01:41 PM
i avoid roof run off, i'd probably avoid the deck as well. I don't think it would be an issue in the full sun. Here are the conditions of the Yangon province of Myanmar, its a bit above where we are right now on average with summer being relatively similar. With these numbers your morning temp might be a bit on the low side. They also avg 10 hours sunlight.

min C
max C
Min F
Max F
rainfall
Rain days

smitty
04-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Also, I wanted to get some rainbows to tub this year but they weren't at auction.

likestofish
04-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Also, I wanted to get some rainbows to tub this year but they weren't at auction.
I'm thinking of doing 3 tubs; CPDs, White Clouds, and Australian Rainbows, on the deck instead with some sort of sun shade. Did a tub last year but the sun was so intense out there the even the water lettuce was getting burnt up by the sun and heat.

smitty
04-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Mine are in a sloped area on the edge of my yard. It gets only partial sun after noon hits. I throw dwl into the compost pile to keep it in check.

If it's too intense a couple pallet boards could make a cheap pergola on top.

Those rainbows ought to light up like fire. Would like to see their juvies going around the club too.

Larry Bugg
04-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Way too warm for white clouds, imo.

likestofish
04-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Way too warm for white clouds, imo.
Good to know, well I'll figure out a different species then.

BobMajor
04-15-2017, 08:54 AM
I put fish out every year Best to place the tubes where they get morning sun and then some shade in the afternoon I have paving bricks built up around the tubs----this prevents the black plastic tubs absorbing too much heat I use tropical water lily pads to block a lot of the sun and theflowers are great and bloom all summer.Another thing I do is drill ahole under the lip of the tub to use as a run off when it rains hard.This prevents losing fish if the tub overflows

likestofish
04-15-2017, 09:06 AM
I put fish out every year Best to place the tubes where they get morning sun and then some shade in the afternoon I have paving bricks built up around the tubs----this prevents the black plastic tubs absorbing too much heat I use tropical water lily pads to block a lot of the sun and theflowers are great and bloom all summer.Another thing I do is drill ahole under the lip of the tub to use as a run off when it rains hard.This prevents losing fish if the tub overflows

Actually Bob, would apistos do well outside? If so do you have any apistos for sale?

BobMajor
04-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Actually Bob, would apistos do well outside? If so do you have any apistos for sale?

I have put out apistos twice They bred but did not raise the fry.I don't think they good enough to eat I did not add food strictly relied on bugs falling in the tub.I had good success with badis.Even though idid not get any fry from the apistos ,their color was fantastic when pulled out in the fall I have apisto aggasizi available in pairs from 2 different river systems in Brazil $25 Pr

likestofish
04-15-2017, 10:07 AM
I have put out apistos twice They bred but did not raise the fry.I don't think they good enough to eat I did not add food strictly relied on bugs falling in the tub.I had good success with badis.Even though idid not get any fry from the apistos ,their color was fantastic when pulled out in the fall I have apisto aggasizi available in pairs from 2 different river systems in Brazil $25 Pr
So do you think a single pair would be fine in a 27 gallon tote? Also did you put in any starter food culture like daphnia?

BobMajor
04-15-2017, 11:11 AM
So do you think a single pair would be fine in a 27 gallon tote? Also did you put in any starter food culture like daphnia?
Should be fine as long as you have enough places for the fish to be apart and hide.The male is aggressive before breeding and the female is aggesive when she has eggs and fry

smitty
04-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Daphnia is great in a tub. I let mine crash over winter but looking to start some back in a 40 or 50.

Rubbermaid drills their handles so you lose about 4" off the top. I think sterilite isn't drilled but doesn't handle the pressure as well. The Rubbermaid is pretty sturdy.

likestofish
04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
I think I'm just going to cut the top off of one of those 55 gallon food grade tubs, they arent that expensive around here.

smitty
04-16-2017, 01:47 PM
275 ibc totes are great too but huge. Could probably try growing out dovii in them haha

schillbw
04-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Good to know, well I'll figure out a different species then.

Ive bred white clouds outside. They seemed to thrive. Hundreds of them by the end of the summer when only started with around 20. They were in a 55g tank under my deck loaded with anacharis and frogbit as floaters

mountainman36
04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Ive bred white clouds outside. They seemed to thrive. Hundreds of them by the end of the summer when only started with around 20. They were in a 55g tank under my deck loaded with anacharis and frogbit as floaters

my Mother has them in her pond in SC for 15 years.....hey Ben! hope you are well

Igster
04-16-2017, 08:23 PM
i stuck about a half dozen out on the deck in a 30 gallon one summer...by the end of the season I had a school that filled a 55. The feeding frenzy was amazing lol

mountainman36
04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
FYI i have a sieve for lake sampling to get micro critters..i think its a 50 micron sieve. it would work well to help pull critters from a lake or streamto seed your tubs. i have done that and had stuff all over my tubs when i was raising plants for my pond business. you can borrow it.

BobMajor
04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
The problem on relying on daphnia is that when the water gets above 80 they seem to go dormant and not are not a reliable source of food

likestofish
04-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Would me just getting some water from the lake and seeding and letting the tubs sit for a while be fine?

smitty
04-17-2017, 04:04 PM
I think you'd get plenty infusoria that way. Might get some less beneficial stuff too. It's already outside though, so I'd try it

smitty
04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
I added styro to my plant baskets this year. Might try putting in some characins in it to see what comes out. It's still too cool out for the water to stay in a good temp range but I've got some plants out. Limno a, water sprite, buce brownie, buce green tear, java fern, java moss, rotala rotundifolia, dwarf sag, baby tears, a truck load of hornwort. I use dirt and saftsorb with a cap of pea pebbles (fingernail size). I use baskets and the substrate.

I've done some relocating this year and having some issues (no power for air pump, level, support, room for multiple) but hopefully everything is going to work out. (A lot of digging to do) I'll probably put some small tubs on the deck too, they're on sale Wal-Mart.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/412a244df58b18aa18e7a2733db36562.jpg

heatherbeast
07-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Any more fish suggestions for tubbing? I have Gambusia and am worried they will be too aggressive to other livebearer babies. Thoughts?

mountainman36
07-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Any more fish suggestions for tubbing? I have Gambusia and am worried they will be too aggressive to other livebearer babies. Thoughts?

i agree gambusia are not the best with others....some of the xenotaca species, or larger species like those would be good. they have huge fry

cswain123
07-12-2017, 08:15 AM
I've done the Gambusia outside before but i did them species only. I think the characins would be great outside. Probably get a fair amount of fry as long as there are some thick plants or roots for the eggs and fry. I put cpds and kyathit danios oit this year. Ive seen some fry but not tons. I'm concerned bc i think the size difference is too large. I think kyathit may be eating too many of the fry. Plants are a ton of potted Cabaomba, water hyacinth, and just added some water lettuce from the mini auction. Next year i definitely want to try some of those net baskets with more marginal plants. Rachel oleary youtube her summer tubbing and her plants look great in those baskets. There is a small amount of some native daphnia in my tub. I out some in from a lake years ago and the tub hasn't been emptied in a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

heatherbeast
07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Okay, Gambusia will be species-only with Java Moss and floating plants for any potential fry.

That said, am I doing this right?

smitty
07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
I've done the Gambusia outside before but i did them species only. I think the characins would be great outside. Probably get a fair amount of fry as long as there are some thick plants or roots for the eggs and fry. I put cpds and kyathit danios oit this year. Ive seen some fry but not tons. I'm concerned bc i think the size difference is too large. I think kyathit may be eating too many of the fry. Plants are a ton of potted Cabaomba, water hyacinth, and just added some water lettuce from the mini auction. Next year i definitely want to try some of those net baskets with more marginal plants. Rachel oleary youtube her summer tubbing and her plants look great in those baskets. There is a small amount of some native daphnia in my tub. I out some in from a lake years ago and the tub hasn't been emptied in a while.

i have large pond pebble substrate, lots of hornwort, broadleaf sprite, sundry other plants, and started with 6 or so von rios. Tried filtration this year, it all crapped out. The rain has been frequent enough that i have been able to leave it alone and there are tons on von rios in there now with 0 intervention or attention.

cswain123
07-18-2017, 01:27 PM
That's awesome! I never thought to put the pebbles. That's probably helping a lot. I never use filtration on them. Rain has definitely been a plus, I've had to siphon off water several times. I think I'll be giving the von Rio tetras a chance next year. You do species only?

BobMajor
07-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Tried apistos again this year in my pond Stared running a net thru the floating pants and discovering many fry about !/8 " Put out a pair of agassizi and a pair of hongloi.Not sure which the fry are yet So far neted out about 30 fry but finding more every day.The pond is 8 x4x1.5 .The whole surface is covered by tropical water liies ,parrots feather and bacopa.It is in full sun but because of the heavy plant cover the temp at the bottom stays 10 degrees cooler that at the surface.Other fish in the pond are swordtails killies and corys

Alex Burleson
07-19-2017, 09:27 PM
I have to reiterate with that a couple of other people have said in this thread: Rachel O'Leary's YouTube videos over summer tubbing are absolutely phenomenal! They have certainly inspired me!

canoe
08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Though summer is almost an afterthought now, with school starting and all, this article is informative for future reference:

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/05/18/amazonas-excerpt-fair-weather-ponding-stocking-a-patio-water-garden/

cswain123
08-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Bob, do you get many Cory fry? I have heard of the fish farmers using upside down flower pots as Cory spawning spots. They check them for eggs and then harvest the eggs and hatch elsewhere. You do that or let everything happen in the pond?