PDA

View Full Version : Brood of Golden Gouramis

RRainman
04-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Howdy folks... Looking for a little advice. I recently mated a beautiful pair of Golden Gouramis. I had them in a 10 gal. tank and they spawned in a matter of 1 day. They are back in the community tank. The fry are about a week old and seem to be doing fine. Right now, there are hundreds of them. I am feeding them Fry Starter and doing 50% water changes every other day. I have a simple corner filter going with low air pressure. I have a few questions and figured the forum was a great place to start.

When should/can I move them to a bigger grow out tank?
When should I move them to baby brine shrimp?
In anticipation of a high survival rate, what I the best way to find them a home? I am not familiar with the auctions here (just missed one).
How long for them to grow to about an inch?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rahnk
04-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Way to go. Beautiful fish and if your fry have gotten this far you have gotten past the hard part.
I would think the 10 gal. Is ok for a while. If you have a bigger tank you can move them when you
feel comfortable catching them. Make sure the next tank has the same filter set up so they don't get sucked into an HOB or canister filter.
Try a few bbs until you see for sure that they are taking them. The fry will have pink stomachs.
The club has mini auctions at each meeting and large auctions in Spring and Fall. When the fry get to a reasonable size, say 3/4" or larger, bring them in. The club can absorb a fair number of a given species. But high numbers drive the price down, so don't expect to get rich. If you are feeling enterprising you can try Aquabid to home a few.
Also remember to turn them in for Breeder Award points.
Congratulations, looking forward to getting some fry at an auction.
Ron

Igster
04-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Is the tank covered? With many of the anabantids it helps to have the tank almost sealed to keep that inch or two of air up top very humid - this helps during the development of the labyrinth organ and they start staying up at the surface to breath atmospheric air. Congrats!

RRainman
04-25-2017, 05:53 AM
Is the tank covered? With many of the anabantids it helps to have the tank almost sealed to keep that inch or two of air up top very humid - this helps during the development of the labyrinth organ and they start staying up at the surface to breath atmospheric air. Congrats!

Yes...It's covered and lit. I also put a towel over it to keep the humidity in.

Thanks for the advice.