PDA

View Full Version : Discus

sandeepshr
06-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Please help me identify if it only food or is it something else... It has been dangling for a long time. I did not see that in the morning though.

Also are the black spots normal? They hide all the time and only come out when the filter is off...I barely see them eating ... What can I do to help them?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/34164d85f9822d57dddceb79726729a7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/163dbf9a415606ddaec88ae800564a0a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Larry Bugg
06-02-2017, 10:33 PM
It is a pigeon blood based discus and the spotting is called peppering. When the pigeons were first created from a mutation the peppering was very heavy on the body and fins. As breeders have improved on the strain, today's pigeons have little to no peppering. Breeding a pigeon to non pigeon based will result in the peppering coming back with a vengeance.

What size is it and do you know the age? The body to eye size ratio indicates that it is pretty stunted. Did you get them as juvies? It is extremely difficult to grow out discus to their full potential in a planted tank with substrate. Discus and in particular, young discus, require VERY clean water and we find that you just can't maintain that kind of clean with substrate. No matter how hard you work at cleaning the substrate there is always going to be left over food and detritus in there. Just one or two days of this will create a breeding ground for bacteria and other pathogens that affect discus harshly. With sub adult/adult discus this isn't as big an issue but with young ones it affects their health detrimentally and will affect their growth. We usually don't recommend putting discus in a planted tank till they are 4 1/2 to 5" for just this reason. My grow out tanks get daily 90% water changes and some get it twice a day. Keep in mind that my tanks have a very heavy bio load since I'm growing out full spawns but even in a tank with 6 or 8 juvies I would still do at least 50% daily changes.

sandeepshr
06-03-2017, 07:14 AM
I got the fish from lfs last week. I think they are about 3 inches. I am not sure about their age.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Larry Bugg
06-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Come on out and look at my discus and talk some. Whether you buy from me or not, I really enjoy helping newbies to discus learn as much as they can so they will enjoy the hobby and get as much as they can out of it.

canoe
06-03-2017, 05:35 PM
You can pretty much take whatever Larry says related to discus as gospel.

Roger
06-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Describe what it is dangling or post photos that enhance that region. What size tank and filter? Discus do not like strong currents. What are you feeding them? Are they eating? Were the black spots present when you bought them? When pigeon blood types are stressed the black spots show more prominently. Like when wild type discus show 9 bars when stressed. What is your temperature in the tank? Discus like it warmer than plants, normally more than 82 F. How many discus do you have in the tank and what other tankmates are also present?

sandeepshr
06-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Hi, Not sure what it ate. I am guessing a pallet.. I have 6 other rainbows, 1 flying siamese, 1 sucker, 7 neon (black and red) tetras. I got two discuss to see how it goes and one of them stopped feeding and died couple of days ago. I have one left and feel like it not feeding much. I tried bloodworm, flakes and shrimp and I seldom see them moving around. I have nitrate down to between 10-20. Water temperature is around 82. I removed the fan that I had for circulating the water in the tank.

The tank is 65 gal with Marineland biowheel HOB (I think 450).The black spots were there when I bought it and I did not knew better not to buy it at that stage. I have only one discus left on the tank and I am not sure if it is eating or not. When I get near, it just runs behind and hides. I see it trying to pluck something from the ground. After adding discuss I did lost

I have a 3d background that I made from styrofoam and drylock. The plants are all the easy to care ones.

heatherbeast
06-13-2017, 08:51 AM
What does your discus poop look like? If it is milky white or clear, that may be an early sign of Hexamita or Spironucleus, the protozoal parasites start growing in the gut before they move to the head. Discus and other cichlids will pick them up from eating food off the ground. If this is the case, you will need to treat the fish (and the entire tank, really) with metronidazole. I also like using Epsom salts, the magnesium sulfate is toxic to the protozoal parasites.