PDA

View Full Version : Summer Pond / Tub

Stew55
06-03-2017, 10:14 AM
I'm trying summer outdoor tubbing for the first time this summer. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub with some plants from my indoor tanks and some water lettuce, water hyacinth, umbrella palm and yellow canna from homedepot. I put 11 fancy tail guppies in yesterday. Water temps are averaging 70. They seem to be doing very well so far. I would like to try some swordtails and then down the road try some egg layers like White clouds, etc.
If there are any other pond /tub people out there I would love to see your setup and any info you would like to share.

smitty
06-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I tub. It's been a really wonky year with the temperatures. Hopefully it'll normalize soon.

cswain123
06-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Looks good. You'll have guppies by the boatload. You'll be tossing out the hyacinth and water lettuce it grows so fast. It'll choke out everything under it. The water hyacinth I have in a 125 stock tank outdoors actually survived the winter here. Not sure I've noticed any water lettuce. I haven't tried sword tails but I've had white clouds and they did great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Stew55
06-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Yes the temps have been wired. I'm averaging 70 to 77 deg water temp the last few days. I decided to try guppies since I had more on hand and this was the first time at this. I would like to try the white clouds as well.
Do you guys set your tubs up a couple of months before you add fish? Do you still feed the fish once the water greens up some and the plants and tub get better established? Do you find that once the water plants get established that you have to do water changes?

cswain123
06-04-2017, 12:40 PM
I leave mine up year round. If it's stocked heavily I'll usually change water. I think generally topping off the evaporation is enough. I would probably lightly feed. Depends on what you want out of the tub. If you want lots of fish back I'd feed. They won't die outside if you don't feed but your returns on fry will be way down.

Stew55
06-05-2017, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info. cswain123. Are you going to do any fish outside this summer?

Stewart

cswain123
06-05-2017, 07:46 AM
I've got some cpds I think I'm going to put outside. Might pick up some white clouds. I had them outside before but didn't turn any in for bap.

Stew55
06-05-2017, 09:10 AM
I like the coloring of the cpds and the white clouds. I will probably try one of them with my next tub.

BobMajor
06-05-2017, 09:21 AM
I have put out different fish every year in my thee pools (50-300 gal)I had trouble with birds eating my fancy guppies. If the water gets too high in the tubs the birds sit on the edge and pick them off since they are surface feeders.As a result I have drilled a run off hole in the tubs so after a heavy rain the water level does not get too high or even over flow.If you put out fish that are heavy eaters you definitely have to add foods to get fry .There is not enough natural food generated especially as the water temps get in the 80s.I highly recommend TROPICAL water lilies they bloom all summer if fertilized bi weekly and you can over winter them in your aquarium. Hardy water lilies usually only bloom in late spring and early summer so I don't use them

Stew55
06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
I haven't seen any bird feeding going on yet. I have a drain hole to maintain 4 inches from the top. Do you have a favorite fish that you like to raise outside?

smitty
06-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Chicken wire helps with birds

Stew55
06-05-2017, 09:20 PM
I was thinking about getting a net. Thanks for the chicken wire idea. Has anyone had problems with herons?

BobMajor
06-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Have had good results with platys,,various killie fish badis ,hoplo cats ,barbs.Did not do well with apistos ,cory cats guppys betas (by not doing well I mean I did not get fry when I took them out in the Fall )

Stew55
06-06-2017, 10:01 AM
hey Bob, what size containers do you use? Do you use plants?

Igster
06-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Hmm...wonder if it's worth it to put my pair of B. macros out and see if they go crazy... :0

BobMajor
06-06-2017, 08:10 PM
My main pond is approx. 300 gal made with treated landscape ties and a rubber liner it has been up for seven years with no leaks .It has some allweater plants(bog plants ) and in the spring I put out aquarium plants and tropical water lilies.There is no air pump or filter but I do weekly siphoning of the bottom These is no gravel on the bottom just the rubber liner---all plants are in containers. The other ponds are 50 gal and are heavy plastic water containers designed for farm animals.I get them fromTractor Supply Stores (one in Conyers and one in Dawsonville ) These are made to last a lifetime and are not anymore expensive than the less study pre formed ponds sold at Home Depot.

Igster
06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
I love the Rubbermaid stock tanks you can get at feed stores. I had a 300 gallon one in Puerto Rico with a Florida snapping turtle in it and some potted lilies, until a chicken decided to roost on the rim and the snapper got it... was quite messy :(

Stew55
06-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Bob, how did the hoplo cats do? Were you able to get them to spawn? Are they egg layers? I would like to try them if I can find some.

BobMajor
06-11-2017, 05:51 PM
The hoplos build a bubble nest out of plants that can be quite large. The fry were easy to grow out

SteveFlanders
06-12-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm trying summer outdoor tubbing for the first time this summer. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub with some plants from my indoor tanks and some water lettuce, water hyacinth, umbrella palm and yellow canna from homedepot. I put 11 fancy tail guppies in yesterday. Water temps are averaging 70. They seem to be doing very well so far. I would like to try some swordtails and then down the road try some egg layers like White clouds, etc.
If there are any other pond /tub people out there I would love to see your setup and any info (http://http://electriciancolumbusohio.com) you would like to share.

That looks like a nice setup, I'll take some pictures for my tub when I have a bit more time.

Demonfish
06-14-2017, 01:30 AM
I put swordtails out in a small tub and they were gone the next day. Tonight there was a racoon on the porch. Do racoon fish? Would a net or chicken wire stop one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

canoe
06-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Indeed, being omnivores, they will go after the fish. They are very resourceful, smart animals, and it will take something sturdy to keep them out. Hardware mesh is sturdier than chicken wire and can be better secured. Be prepared for them to attack it anyway. They will create a mess.

My recommended solution is to use a live trap and remove them from the area. You will probably have more than 1, so keep the trap around. Once you trap an animal, cover the trap with a dark cloth, which will help to settle the critter while you transport it far away (as in miles, away from civilization).

Depending on the surrounding area, it may be an ongoing issue, as good habitat will always attract new residents. Good luck.