View Full Version : acrylic tank repair

07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
I have a 400 gal acrylic tank and one of the seams is cloudy and looks like it might be cracked. It's hard to tell. Can anyone recommend a person/company that does tank repair?

07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
The seams of acrylic tanks are chemically bonded, so the repair may need to done by adding a strip wide enough to cover both sides of the seam with a chemical bonding cement like Weldon.

I understand that moving or handling such a large tank isn't trivial - have you had a chance to do any sort of leak testing? How high up is the cloudiness?

07-19-2017, 07:35 AM
the cloudy part is about 12" - 15" long vertical from the bottom on the front right corner. The entire width of the seam is not cloudy. Half the width of the 12-15" is clear and appears to be bonded correctly. I have not leak tested it because half of the section looks ok and I think it will hold for a while, but may fail over time. I would like to have a profession tank manufacturer or repair person look at it before I attempt to do anything else.

07-25-2017, 09:37 AM
I've talked to the manufacture. Adding a strip down the side is the best fix and will permanently solve the problem. I have an idea of how to make this look like it was manufactured this way. Since this is on the front corner, I would like to look as professional as possible. I don't have the tools or experience to polish the edges and weld the strips on without too many air bubbles under the strip and getting Weldon on the viewing panels. If anybody can recommend someone experienced with acrylic, it would be greatly appreciated.