PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to handle black beard algae.

Gibbletest
07-25-2017, 10:16 AM
I've had my community tank setup for about ten years now. Recently I picked up some plants that must have had bba on them. Now it is all over the decor, filter, tank. Should I just start over? I try to clean it out but it keeps coming back. If I remove the driftwood for a couple of months will it grow back? Should I start with all new equipment, decor and tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phillip
07-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Rr

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

phillip
07-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Hate to say it but I would remove all decor and gravel. Then every third day do water changes.i would have to see it to see if it's in the seams yet

Gibbletest
07-25-2017, 11:26 AM
It has got in the seams. Do you mean in the silicon joints?

Roger
07-25-2017, 03:28 PM
I have heard you can spot treat with florish by seachem, use an eyedropper and squirt some on the bba. I have also head hydrogen peroxide also works. Be careful not to overdose a tank of fish with either

phillip
07-25-2017, 03:36 PM
I have heard both remedies too and the success rate is low.

York1
07-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Both excel and h2o2 work to kill it but if you do not figure out what is causing it then it will come back. Here is a good thread on the use of excel and h2o2 http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/203684-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.html
Everyone has their own opinions on whats causes BBA. For me it was dirty tank and filter. Once I started vacuuming the gravel and cleaning the gunk out of the filter more often the algae stoped growing. Then spot treat with h2o2 took care of the rest. Do a search on some of the planted tank focused forums and you will find a ton of info on BBA and different ways people have tried to get rid of it

Gibbletest
07-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Maybe I will try doing a good gravel cleaning. The filters are pretty regularly cleaned. The gravel bed is kind of deep though.

York1
07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
I know in my tank if i dont vacuum off the top i get a layer of misc detritus. My tank is very heavily planted so all kinds of junk just settles to the top of the gravel among the plants. The plants are fairly dense so water flow doesnt blow the detritus around so the filter can pick it up