PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria starter for aquarium

Gibbletest
08-20-2017, 01:34 PM
I have a friend who I starting up a ten gallon aquarium. I wanted to recommend a good bacteria starter. I remember someone saying tetra safe start plus works well. Anyone have any recommendations? I typically use bacteria from established tanks or dosing with ammonia so I don't know to much about the ones you purchase at the store. And additionally what would be a good way to keep the ph up to 7 and keep it stable? I was thinking proper ph 7.0 or maybe some type of base rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbletest
08-20-2017, 01:36 PM
I would let them have some of the media from my tank to start up the cycle but I have bba and I don't want to introduce that to a new hobbyist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cswain123
08-20-2017, 01:51 PM
I have used api quickstart in the past and it worked well. I would use some oyster shells or crushed coral for the substrate to buffer the pH up. I think there'd be a lot of room for error using ph chemicals on a ten gallon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Demonfish
08-21-2017, 10:27 AM
I don't like Proper pH, it tends to cloud water. A 1/4 tsp of baking soda would likely be enough buffer to keep the pH from crashing. Or if you want a bottled product, Seachem neutral regulator is a liquid, easy to use and also includes dechlor.

mountainman36
08-22-2017, 07:28 PM
ive used seachem neutral regulator for 25 years. it works, and never clouds the water. it sets the pH to 7.0 and holds it there, for a while. water changes are important too