PDA

View Full Version : Help. Cottonyl type fungus. Need treatment suggestions

Krafty
12-16-2017, 10:39 AM
I admit I’m not the most knowledgeable fish keeper so I apologize if there is a commonly known answer to this question... I trust the experience and knowledge in the club more than the internet shotgun approach.

What is the best wat to treat the “cotton ball” looking fungus on a fish. I came home from a 5 day business trip and one of my plecos has a small area with it.

Added- I came home from a business trip and one of my bristlenose plecos had a “tuft” of fur on its back. I bought some Seachem Sulfaplex... we will see how it goes

Demonfish
12-17-2017, 12:25 AM
If it really is a fungus, salt and and an old dye remedy like methylene blue will usually do the trick. But there are fungus-looking bacterial infections like columnaris (also know as cotton-mouth). Columnaris is quick. nasty, and contagious. Suspect this if it starts on the mouth, leave a hole where there was flesh, or kills within a few days after introducing a new fish. Best of luck, fish-disease is the worst. Let us know if the sulfa drug works or doesn't.

Have you gotten a close look? Once I had a fish swimming around with a tuft of something that just came off. Maybe fungused uneaten food, or dead hair algae.

Krafty
12-22-2017, 09:02 PM
As an update the infected fish didn’t make it. I’m afraid I was too late with the treatment. The other fish seem to either have been uninflected or took well to the treatment. Thanks for the feedback Demonfish.