PDA

View Full Version : Journey of my dreams...

ChloroPhil
11-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey folks,

I just fell into a fantastic opportunity for a tank like I've been dreaming about for years. It's a custom made 72x30x24 inch, 225 gallon aquarium with a custom built stand, canopy, and 60 gallon sump. The original owner is a reef enthusiast who really took his time to make sure the tank was built and set up right. It's going to be a month or so before I get everything settled down and planted but I wanted to get the journal started now. :)

Lighting will be 6x 55 watt AH supply retrofits fitted lengthwise front-to-back. I'm considering attaching them to an aluminum frame that can be raised and lowered for maintenance or adjust concentration as needed to fight algae or slow growth. The goal is to illuminate the rear of the tank more and leave the front as algae free as possible. I've never kept a tank with a sand front but it seems to be a good idea with this one. I really don't want to have to maintain a huge mass of HC or Glosso.

One of the things about this tank that excites me so much is it's pre-drilled for a closed-loop. No need to rig some ghetto over-the-back spraybar like I've had to in the past. This is going to be 100% pure CO2 reactor love. *glee!*

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/tankarrive1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/tankarrive2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/tankarrive3.jpg

Closed Loop
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/bulkheads.jpg

Acrylic sump
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/sys4.jpg

Since the tank was originally a reef the owner had the sump built with a separate refugium area. With two downdrafts from the overflow this is going to become a place to breed fish, store cuttings, and/or grow things out for flowers. It's the full section in the left-rear.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/leaktest2.jpg

The other nice touch is the electrical work. Everything's wired into the panel of outlets and then hooked into the DJ stations. No more having to unplug pumps, heaters, or other misc. stuff during maintenance!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/epanel2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/epanel7.jpg

I hope you enjoy following this journey as much as I'm going to enjoy it.

ikevi
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow that is a crazy amount of outlets. A very nice setup, heck I don't see any salt creep at all on it.

How does the canopy open, and are you going to put glass lids on it?

zmo63
11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Beautiful! And I know it'll be absolutely amazing when you're finished with it too.

ChloroPhil
11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow that is a crazy amount of outlets. A very nice setup, heck I don't see any salt creep at all on it.

How does the canopy open, and are you going to put glass lids on it?
Kevin,

The photos are from when the tank was brand new. The current photos don't show all the parts separately. There's a little salt creep here and there as well as come scratches in the tank and furniture. However, for the price and the tank itself I'm happy to deal with them. :D

The canopy has two hinges, one in front for every day work and another that'll allow the entire top to open up for big maintenance jobs.

Kirsten,

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to this project. :)

jmhart
11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
The other nice touch is the electrical work. Everything's wired into the panel of outlets and then hooked into the DJ stations. No more having to unplug pumps, heaters, or other misc. stuff during maintenance!
That's really nice, really. You're gonna enjoy that.

hsd
11-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Phil, I thought the idea was to have less tanks and stuff to move when you moved?:P

ChloroPhil
11-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Phil, I thought the idea was to have less tanks and stuff to move when you moved?:P
Fewer tanks...more VOLUME!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAHA :lol:

Chris Noto
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Sweet hardware, Phil! Congratulations.

ChloroPhil
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
We have plumbing!

I know it's not that exciting to most of you, but this is the first time I've been able to use all the unions, valves, and whatnot that I drooled over in my former life as an installer. Modular hard plumbing is a thing of beauty and general convenience. With these I'll be able to control the flow to any part of the tank, do an emergency quick drain via the closed loop (CL), and all the other nifty stuff that I've wanted to do for years.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SwimsWithFishes/PC030026.jpg

At first I'd considered doing a Mazzei CO2 system but then I remembered the AquaMedic reactor I had and thought it best to save money for fish. :D The reactor's going to be plumbed on the intake of the CL to maximize CO2 dissolution and distribution. The CL downdraft tube is going to be teed off with the gate valve in-line with the pump and the reactor on the T, similar to a Mazzei injector, only on the in rather than out direction. The gate valve will give very fine control over direct flow into the pump. The more the valve's closed the greater the flow going through the reactor. Any gas that escapes the reactor will be pulled through the pump's impeller and chopped up before being sent out into the tank.

Both the CL and the sump will be running off Pan World P40-X pumps with an approximate total flow of 700-750gph after accounting for head loss.

Fun stuff,
Phil

Chris Noto
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Geez, Phil, are those really all gate valves? You dropped a few sheckels on that collection, didn't you? :) I'd love to see the spaghetti, I mean schematic ;) for your system.

ChloroPhil
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Geez, Phil, are those really all gate valves? You dropped a few sheckels on that collection, didn't you? :) I'd love to see the spaghetti, I mean schematic ;) for your system.
Only the white one is a gate valve. The rest are ball valve unions. Lord, if they were all gates I'd be broke! hahah As it is, this picture represents the combined Christmas gifts of a few members of my family. I'm working on the spaghetti right now. Sadly I ran out of glue and ate all the maccaroni for dinner. No more 90* elbows. Today's task was starting to learn Google Sketchup. A decent schematic may not be that far away...maybe.

Cheers,
Phil

jmhart
12-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Where'd you get your true unions? I'm looking for the best price to get them for my 120g.

ChloroPhil
12-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I got all that from savko.com They seem to be the best out there for these sorts of things.

Cheers,
Phil

ChloroPhil
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey all,

Stendker Discus' US division is having a spectacular Christmas sale on a limited number of adult (6-7") fish. I too full advantage of it and ordered my school yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of 6 gorgeous Flachen discus. They're similar to the cobalts and blue diamond fish that we've seen a lot of in planted tanks except they're based off a green fish rather than blue. I've been in love with the subtle blue-green color found in high quality wild "Green" discus since I first saw them. Finding a domestic strain with that full rich color made me squee like a little girl. *grin*

These are the actual fish I got-
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_3949.jpg

They'll be staying at an acquaintance's fish house for a few weeks until I can get the tank up and running. More photos and updates will be forthcoming as things progress.

Squeee!
Phil

DiscusChris
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Nicely done Phil!

ChloroPhil
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you. Now all that needs to be done is cross one of these bad boys (or girls) with a Heckel. :D:D

Eric
12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Well done Phil! I wish you all my best with them! :cool:

ikevi
12-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I see you are actually going to be giving a talk at the NADA Convention,. And if you do manage to cross them with a Heckel, that would be an awesome sight. (Just remember that the Heckel bar is a hit or miss on if the fry will show up with it, even with heckel x heckel.)

ChloroPhil
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks all. Yeah, I'm speaking at the convention. It sounds like it'll be a lot of fun, not to mention close to the new home, and I'm really looking forward to it. I doubt I'll ever breed discus intentionally, that's just out of my league or realm of interest right now. But, if they spawn and have a couple babies survive, it would be neat to play around with someone else's heckels. :)

Cheers,
Phil

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
The fish are in!!!! The guy who's kindly offered to keep the fish for me just called to let me know they arrived safe and sound. I can't wait to see them in person. :D

Larry Bugg
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Exciting stuff Phil. You know we want pictures.

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I'll post them as soon as I have pics to post. Right now we're all playing the waiting game.

Larry Bugg
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Sure wish I could make the convention and come see them in person. Hmmmm, have to keep that on the back burner.

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you should! I think it's going to be fairly inexpensive as far as conventions go.

jmhart
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
The fish are in!!!! The guy who's kindly offered to keep the fish for me just called to let me know they arrived safe and sound. I can't wait to see them in person. :D
That's a lot trust!

They're gonna look GREAT in that tank!

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
That's a lot trust!

They're gonna look GREAT in that tank!
You're not kidding! I got three solid recommendations beforehand, the breeder included. If they die I'm only out 1/3 of the money I got from selling off all the tank stuff...:rolleyes: It helps that he's the VP of the NADA and folks on SD know he's holding the fish for me now. Gotta keep folks honest. ROFL.

~Phil