PDA

View Full Version : Anyone growing mosses?

Holy Samosa
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Other than Java moss?

I've had java moss for a decade (infact, it's one of the few plants to survive the last several years of tank neglect), but I'd like to try something new when give my tank a makeover in a couple of weeks. I'm liking the look of Taiwan and Christmas moss, which appear to have much better branching than Java, and from what I've read are fairly hardy and easy to grow as well.

I'm really surprised though, that these mosses don't have wider availability except from overseas sources.

Anyway, I'd live to hear about your moss growing experiences. (Plus, I'd like to beg, barter, or buy some from you!)

Thanks!
Jeremy

Dino
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
We have willow moss here, which looks very different from java moss.
We also have christmas moss, but I will have to see if we have enough to move any out.

Both do well in our hard water with indirect natural light.

Demonfish
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I like christmas moss, its a pretty color. But IME it grows more slowly than java moss.

Holy Samosa
11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I've always loved gawking at Amano's masterful use of Willow moss in the Nature Aquarium books. It has such a nice regularity to it's branching and a almost leafy quality like little Cyprus needles. I recently read that it doesn't like tropical temperatures that well and elsewhere that Amano's mosses are sometimes mislabeled.

Dino: Have you had good luck growing Willow moss at tropical temps? Also, I'd definitely be thrilled if you had any moss that you could spare to part with!

Thanks!
Jeremy

Holy Samosa
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I just noticed that Fissidens fontanus is native to Georgia. Go figure. Such a beautiful aquatic moss growing right in our back yards (well, maybe if your yard is an estuary).

Here's the distribution map:
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=85338&flora_id=1

I wonder where I might go field tripping to collect a few specimens....

Dino
11-25-2009, 09:57 AM
The willow moss here is kept in tanks that range from 74-82F.