View Full Version : HELP! Also posted in HELP forum...

11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey all..

Just put some Excel Flourish in my plant tank (1 cap for 55 gals), and within 15 minutes the otherwise crystal-clear tank has turned foggy!

What DID I Do, and what Do I do?

11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
A 50% water change wouldn't hurt.

11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks, Brian:

Been reading up on this since I posted, and I'm thinking my EXCEL might be bad. My Excel Flourish is BROWN coming out of the bottle. Is it supposed to be clear???

11-27-2009, 05:30 PM
yes atleast mine is clear

11-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Flourish Comprehensive is supposed to be brown.

11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
That's what I put in, Phil., Flourish Comprehensive.
So why did my water turn cloudy all of a sudden?
I out in just over a capful (in a 55-gal tank)/.

Any ideas?

11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
If the cloudiness was instantaneous it's just the chemicals in the mix spreading out into the water. If it happened later it's probably a small bacterial bloom reacting to the increased nutrients in the water. Brian's suggestion of a 50% water change is a good one if the latter is true.

11-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a bacterial bloom due to excess nutrients in the water. I would do a 50% water change followed up with another 50% water change the next day followed up with regular 50% water changes every week. The bacteria will consume oxygen in the tank. Left unchecked, you could lose fish. You might also consider adding some Seachem Stability to the tank after everything settles down.

11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Brian, phil, et al:

Well the tank has cleared up almost completely, just about as quickly as it got cloudy.

However, I've now got hundreds of snails all over the place, big, medium and tiny ones.

Could the addition of the Flourish have done something to draw them out?

How do I get rid of them?!? OUCH!

11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
you could put out a piece of lettuce in the tank each night, and in the morning it should be full of snails, and remove it, repeat that for a while. You could just start squishing them when you see them. Pick them out. Get a fish that will snack on them. get assassin snails (anentome helena). You'll never really be rid of the snails, they are a menance.

11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
I will try the lettuce and squishing.

11-27-2009, 10:24 PM
When you get new plants you could dip them in a weak bleach solution or use potassium permanganate, to get rid of any snail eggs, then rinse them. A bit too late for that now, but its a good preventative measure if you could a snail free tank.

11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I like to keep snails in my planted tanks. When I prune my tanks I pick off the snails from the leaves and add them back to the tank. They eat any dead or dying leaves and help keep mulm from building up on top of the substrate. BTW, most cichlids will eat snails. Loaches just love them. I stopped keeping loaches for that very reason. If you have too many snails in your tank then they must be eating something. I would just make sure no food is left uneaten after you feed your fish. I would just let the snails do their job. They'll eventually die off when the food supply runs out. Despite what others might say, snails are great for the aquarium!

11-28-2009, 12:39 AM
In general, snails come down to a personal preference. Some like them and see their benefits. Others hate them. I generally fall into the latter category. They're virtually impossible to eradicate once they've established themselves in your tank. Making sure that you're not overfeeding and manually removing them during weekly maintenance will keep them at manageable levels. The truth is you've always had a snail population you just didn't notice it before -- either because they were nocturnal or buried in the substrate.

Loaches will eat them but they may also eat other things that you might prefer they not like inverts or fry.

I've never had any of the Flourish products cloud my water, but root tabs seem to have that effect for some reason. Usually, the problem clears on its own without any intervention on my part.

Water changes are not a bad suggestion. But I would also test your water for nitrates and possibly phosphates so you have a diagnostic snapshot of what's going on inside your tank as well.

Good luck,

11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks all. Looks like most of the snails disappeared this morning back to wherever they were hiding out before (maybe in the riccia or substrate). I guess that temporary bloom of whatever just drew them all out yesterday.

Oh well...