PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Minneapolis how do I send my fish?

tehill73
01-30-2019, 01:01 PM
I am moving to Minneapolis in May. I have 180 gallon Red Sea Reefer tank. It is freshwater with 10 Discus, some catfish, tetras, one small and two very large clown loaches. I have had the clown loaches for 16 years and would like to keep them and the discus. My question is does anyone know where I can pay to board these fish until I can setup my tank and cycle it in Minneapolis. I would then pay to have them bagged, prepped and overnight shipped to Minneapolis. This is my first choice my other option is to sell off my live stock . Any help would be appreciated.

Tangfan
02-01-2019, 01:04 PM
A lot of this would really revolve around where you currently live and the resources that are in that area. Some LFS might be able to help you, but at the same time, might not want to get involved knowing there may be backlash if one of our prize fish is lost. Another possibility is if there are anyone in the area who has experience shipping fish as well as the equipment to ship fish (thinking oxygen here). And last is the availability of tank space and estimated time that the fish would have to be held.

in short, more information is really required in order for any truly beneficial responses.

canoe
02-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Yikes, that is a big undertaking. Could you take the essential fish with you when you move, and put them into temporary quarters (smaller tank or tanks) until the 180 is ready? You could overload the temporary tank(s) and do massive daily water changes to keep them happy. If you are going to sell the non-essential fish, I would suggest the timing of the spring auction might be very good for you. Should be in April.

Demonfish
02-08-2019, 08:46 PM
I would trust Ken Davis or someone in NADA with this, if available.

tehill73
02-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Thank you for your responses. I am still debating whether or not to move the tank and occupants. I may try to move the tank, sell off most of the fish, and just board my two jumbo clown loaches. I have had them for 15 years. They are quite large and have sentimental value to me. Depending on the cost it may be cheaper for me to sell the tank and base. It is a Red Sea Reefer XXL. I paid $4K for it one year ago. I would be interested in either someone to board a few fish, buy my livestock, or maybe buy my aquarium setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonfish
02-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Get a quote from the moving company on moving the tank and insuring the tank during the move. If they will take it (many won't), they will charge extra. If your employer is moving you, they may pay it. This is why you see so many large tanks on craigslist. A lot of people will sell and replace the large glass tank and move everything else. I wouldn't worry too much about "cycling". If you keep the filter media (bag it) and/or substrate damp, it should bounce back inside a week. With the large water changes discus keepers do and a good anti-ammonia dechlor like Prime, the water quality should not be an issue. If you don't have a vehicle that can hold the tank, consider renting one and "doing it yourself". No one else is going to care as much about your tank and fish. Ask on NADA http://www.discusnada.org/ about the safety and methods of moving large discus. I suspect styro-size bags and water changes every 8 hours, but I'm only guessing. If you sell the whole set-up you will tank a big loss. Usually about 3$/gallon is the most you can get.

I'm not sure Ken is still on the forum, but try PMing fishfarm . If he can't board and ship your fish, he may be able to give you some pointers.

tehill73
03-19-2019, 03:08 PM
After checking options here and Minneapolis, I think it will be best to sell the fish here. I would be willing to sell to an individual or at the auction (Is that scheduled yet? The website is still talking about April 2018). I found a mover that will move the tank. So now looking for buyers for my fish. I have 7 discus, 12 Rummy nose, 4 Cardinals 2 huge 15 year old clown loaches, one 2yr old clown loaches, various Catfish, Bristle nose, Pleco, Spotted Pleco. various tetras, Flying Foxes. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostsoul947
03-20-2019, 05:33 AM
April 7th is the Spring auction.

tfreema
03-21-2019, 11:44 AM
What tetras do you have?

canoe
03-22-2019, 06:24 AM
Sending PM to you.

tehill73
03-25-2019, 02:42 AM