PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy's 46 gallon bow

Holy Samosa
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey guys.

Last night I snapped a couple of quick pics of the 46 gallon bow front I set up last month. Thanks to Stephen, Kirsten, Dino and Phil for the great plants!

The tank had a big trim on Saturday and the Green Hygro is already back to the top of the water. Seriously, the tank is only a month old and I've already trimmed out enough H. Polysperma that I could fully stock a 120 gallon H. Polysperma monoculture tank. Good thing there's a creek in the neighborhood where I can dispose of this stuff. <grin>

Quick stats:
* 46 gallons
* Pressurized CO2 w/ Boyu Inline diffuser - maybe 10 bps (diffusion isn't that great)
* 96 watt compact florescent, 10 hours / day
* Eheim 2224 canister filter
* EI dosing
* Flourite substrate w/ earthworm castings
* Manzanita wood

Flora: Glosso, E. Tenellus, E. Tenellus v Tenellus, H. Corymbosa v. Angustofolia, H. Difformis, H. Polysperma, Limnophila aromatica, Rotala sp. 'Colorata' (I think), M. mattogrossense, Narrow Java Fern, Christmas moss, C. Balanse, C. Wendtii, C. Willisi

Fauna: Scissor tail rasboras, ottos, Amaono shrimp, ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp, SAEs, and one sad and lonely cory.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/HolySamosa/Jeremys46gAquarium-01-11-10.jpg

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/HolySamosa/Jeremys46gAquariumb-01-11-10.jpg

mrjg
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Tank looks great! Its going to be awesome when that 'aromatica' pokes out of the middle. Nice job hiding hardware as well. Cheers.

mykidsmom
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
WOW!!!!!!

Great job!!!!! That's GORGEOUS!!!

(Are you sure you didn't just pirate that picture from someplace else? :P jk! Soooo jealous!)

Holy Samosa
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks!

I accidentally killed most of the Xmas moss on the left two Manzanita branches spot treating hair algae with diluted Excel, but now I find that I actually like the sparse covering of mostly dead, brown moss. It gives the wood a natural look, while providing a bit of contrast to all of the green.

On the subject of Excel, my Excel treatment killed off a good bit of the narrow java fern and majorly stunted the new growth. I did probably a 10:1 dilution of Excel and sprayed directly on the plants during one of my first water changes. It does seem to work wonders for killing algae, but I guess you really do need to be careful when applying directly to some plants... I've been dosing double strength Excel to the water column since my first big algae outbreak about 4 weeks ago and now there's not a filament of visible algae to be found anywhere... (Well... Maybe my Algae Squad has something to do with that too. :-)

pullins125
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
great job. very nice

zmo63
01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
It's looking so good! Nice job. I look forward to seeing how it evolves too.

ronv
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, that is a nice tank!!!!

kwseiders
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow! You should write an article for the newsletter, so we can read the things you learned while you did this. I'd love to read it. See if the HAP chairperson will let you take over his column one month. It looks very natural, but like you had a plan.

FSM
01-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Is everything that green or is it the picture?

I think it would look better if it wasn't all the same shade of green, but it looks great nonetheless.

blackace22
01-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice Tank

Chris Noto
01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Sa-weet, Jeremy! Way to go, dude. Nice design. Nice culture. Two thumbs up!

ttstan
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
WOW! Great healthy looking tank! BIG thanks for the clippings Jeremy =)

Holy Samosa
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Gosh, thanks guys!!

While putting the tank together I would regularly ask myself: WWTAD? (What Would Takashi Amano Do?) ;-)

This was my first chance to put together a tank from the start with a particular design in mind. While my last tank did have some nice plants and happy fish, I started it before I discovered Amano's Nature Aquarium style. With that first tank I basically bought up the most interesting plants and driftwood I could find at the petstore and then tried to see what I could make of it. It was nice to finally let go of that and start with a general design that would loosely guide my plant and hardscape choices.

I'm happy with the way it's turned out so far, but I'm learning as I go and hopefully the next one will turn out even better. I've got a ways to go before I'll have something good enough for the AGA contest.

As for the green-ness, I was shooting for a very verdant green however the image did turn out more technicolor than the tank really appears. I'm going to have to fiddle with the camera and maybe do a little color balancing. I asked my photographer friend about this today and he suggested that the CCD of digital cameras sometimes have difficulty sampling the peaks in the color spectra from florescent lights (or something kinda like that).

Jeremy

zmo63
01-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey Jeremy, you should check out Jason Baliban's article Planted Aquarium Photography with a Point and Shoot Camera (http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedAquariumArticles_PhotographyPointAndShoot.a spx). I know your camera is way fancier than that, but it's worth looking through all of his pictures of the same tank with different white balances and exposures.

Holy Samosa
01-13-2010, 11:00 AM
@ Kirsten:

Great article! Thanks!

ChloroPhil
01-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Wow Jeremy,

That's gorgeous. Well done!

a/m
01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
That is one beautiful tank!

geaux fish
08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Wow -- beautiful. I am in the process of putting together a 46 owfront low-tech tank. We'll see...

How do you like your 2224?

Holy Samosa
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
The Eheim 2224 is a fantastic, dependable filter. It's been running strong for over 10 years now and mechanically is still running strong. I did replace the main seal and clips last year though, as it was starting to leak when the filter was off. No big deal though.

If you're planning on a lot of plants, I'd recommend ponying up for a larger model. I think my tank would benefit from improved flow...

geaux fish
09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
If you're planning on a lot of plants, I'd recommend ponying up for a larger model. I think my tank would benefit from improved flow...
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up springing for a Classic 2217 when Big Al's had them on sale with free shipping recently. I will attempt setting up my fist cannister filter this week. Let's hope I don't flood the house.

What type of inlet and outlet do you use? Clear pipes? I don't think I want the neon green EHEIM pipes screaming at me.

Holy Samosa
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I just use the standard Eheim green pipes now, however I'm going to go with glass pipes whenever I trade in the bow for a 48g 90p rimless one of these days...

Amazon Lover
10-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Are you using BilJac's dog treats to make your rasboras go single file? That second pic really shows!! LOL

aXio
10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Very beautiful tank! I think if you had a nice focal plant and a little trim this tank would be amazing. Some of the plants get lost in all the green, as well the fish. What kind of ferts are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Holy Samosa
10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm using EI dosing w/ dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com, although I premix the macros into a solution to make things easier.

This past weekend I ripped everything out of this tank and am starting over with a new scape. Really, since late spring the tank had become a mess. The java ferns became way overgrown and shaded the glosso too much, so it started growing up rather than out. Kinda wend downhill from there. I'll post the new layout to the the the Members Tanks forum after it comes together...