PDA

View Full Version : clown loaches in planted tank?

liz3
02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
ok, so as i predicted, but had to prove to myself, my bristlenose plecos are making a fine meal of my dwarf baby tears. they will be moved to another tank.

which loaches do you recommend for planted tanks? the basic clown loach? have some snails i would like gone, they eat snails too, right? will they cohabitate with either discus or kribs? how many loaches should i get for a 75 gallon?

zmo63
02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Clown loaches will get much too big for a 75, and they will eat and uproot your plants as they grow. Best to stay with some of the smaller loaches - you won't regret it! Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki or Botia striata are great choices for a planted tank, or any of the Pangio species if you like something different. I'd do at least 12, but the more the better! Medium-sized peaceful Botias like Botia kubotai or Botia rostrata would work too.

I would stay away from Yoyos (will tear up your plants), modestas and skunks (too aggressive), dojos (need cooler water), and any of the hillstream or river species (need lots of current).

Before you buy, research your favorite species here - http://www.loaches.com. I had to rehome my first loach because I made a bad choice, and it was heartbreaking!

liz3
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
thank you, thank you for the information. i wanted thoughts from someone with experience and i will research species on the link you gave me.

zmo63
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
you'll love loaches - they have so much personality :) The more you get of a single species, the more naturally they'll behave, so I recommend sticking to one or two species. And they do seem to thrive in larger groups - the only known aquarium spawning of Y. sidthimunki was in a 75 gallon community tank with a group of 36 loaches.

liz3
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
HELP!!!!!

ok, so i have read up on several species and am interested in the botia striata as i have snails cropping up. sounds like all the loaches, and scavengers, like sandy beds. i have flourite in my tank...grrr. should i top-dress it with 1/4" or so of play sand? i have marine sand in storage but read it does not provide enough aeration for most of the plants i am growing.

couple more questions...will the botia co-habitate well with kribs? or with discus? lastly, any thoughts on cory cats in a planted tank (good scavengers, disruptive, aggressive)?

- liz

SvenRhapsody
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
If you top dress it then, in my opinion, it will quickly just sink down into the cracks, and you'll just have a sandy flourite mix.

zmo63
02-12-2010, 07:29 AM
I wouldnt mess with play sand, but pool filter sand on top of flourite seems to work well for me. If you constantly replant, it'll eventually mix together, but you can always dump a little more sand on top. An alternative if you wanted to switch to all sand would be the flourite sand. I haven't used it, but I hear that it's soft enough for bottom dwellers (unlike tahitian moon sand).

caricell
02-13-2010, 05:02 AM
I have a 72-gal all Play Sand tank, and it's the best tank I've ever set up. And, plants are growing in it wonderfully with just a 40 watt standard "plant light" from Wal-Mart. I have a clown loach in there, and so far no uprooting (or snails.)

I've always used clows to get rid of my snails. They eat the snails from the inside, leaving just the shells.

'other Larry'

Chris Noto
02-13-2010, 05:32 AM
I have a 72-gal all Play Sand tank, and it's the best tank I've ever set up. And, plants are growing in it wonderfully with just a 40 watt standard "plant light" from Wal-Mart.
Larry, I've got a 65 gallon tank sitting dry, and I'd love to hear more about your 72, as it sounds like you've put it together in a relatively low budget way. So as to avoid stealing this thread, and losing track of the separate topics, I hope you will consider starting a thread here about your tank.

Thanks,
Chris Noto

liz3
02-13-2010, 07:58 AM
caricell, what you say intrigues me...what plants are you growing?